Headphones for keeping noise out. Advice please

tichtich

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi. I have noisy neighbours, and I'm looking for some headphones that will be effective at keeping their noise out as much as possible.

I'm not a hifi afficionado, and I mostly use headphones for watching TV, so sound quality does not have to be the highest. Currently I use a pair of Sennheiser RS 120 wireless headphones, which suit me quite well, except that they're open and keep out no noise at all. As I'd quite like to stick with wireless, I was thinking of upgrading to the RS 140s, which are closed, but I was wondering if I would be better off going for some which are specifically sold for their effectiveness at keeping out noise.

Looking at a Sennheiser catalogue (one that's a bit out of date) I see that their DJ/monitoring headphones claim to be particularly good at "ambient noise attenuation". Am I likely to notice a significant difference in this respect between these and the RS 140s, and between the more and less expensive DJ/monitoring headphones? I have my eye on the HD 200 Master phones, at about £50, but there's a whole range from about £16 to £140.

Since they're for TV use, I'd need a longish cable, at least 4m. But I could use an extension cable if necessary.

Comfort could also be a factor, as I tend to wear them for hours on end, and I've read that closed headphones are less comfortable than open. I've tried some Sennheiser CX300 Ear Canal Headphones, but I found those rather uncomfortable, and couldn't wear them for more than an hour. Also, they made a lost of rustling sound whenever I moved and the cable got jostled.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I enjoy Shure headphones for clairty which is probably best for the telly. £60 or so for the basic ones.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom