1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headphones for ipod, suggestions wanted

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Juliesinar, May 17, 2004.

1. Juliesinar

Juliesinar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could suggest some decent sounding headphones to use with my new Ipod.

I have tried the included headphones and thought they were uncomfortable and did not sound very nice, I also tried the Sennheiser PX 100, to me, they sounded very warm, with unpleasant bass and have also tried some Sony clip on headphones (don't know the model number), they sounded bright and a little harsh.

I'd rather not pay much over £50 but would probably pay more if the sound was very pleasing. Any suggestions appreciated.

Also, does anyone know a good shop in London to demo compact headphones?

thanks for reading

Julie

2. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    You simply cannot expect too much from portable headphones, but I do have a couple of suggestions, but you probably wont be able to audition them unfortunately.

Firstly, the Koss KSC-35 from www.koss.com. These are clip on type designs.

Secondly, the Shure E2C. These can be found in ebays headhone section, and are canal phones.

Or theres possibly Etymotic's budget canal phone, the ER6. I'd guess that this would be closest to what your looking for, but you are approaching 100 quid there...

Beyond that, I am not really shure what to suggest.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Try a pair of these Excellent sound and very comfortable but stay away from chinese clones on fleabay!!!

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I'd definitely second your suggestion of the ER6,although as you've noted,they are relatively expensive,but worth it in terms of sound quality and isolation from external noise.

5. Juliesinar

Juliesinar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Thank you all for your suggestions, the Shure Ec2 and Etymotic ER6 seem like interesting designs. I have never used earphones like these before. They sound as though they might be uncomfortable, can anyone comment on that?

Also, has anyone listened to both the E2C and the ER6, I'm just wondering if the sound is significantly better from the ER6, and how they compare as far as comfort is concerned.

Lastly, I mostly use my Ipod when I'm taking my dog long walks in the countyside, so would the sound isolation benefits be worthwhile given that there is very little ambient noise?,

Any comments appretiated,

Julie

6. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I use Shure E3C's with my iPod, and they sound great. Comfort wise, they can sometimes feel a little odd when I've just put them in, but they settle down soon enough and you soon forget you're wearing them. However I would never wear them if I was out and about - I find the sound isolation is good enough that I wouldn't hear traffic noise and that sort of thing. They're great if you're mowing the lawn though ;)

Sorry I can't offer an alternative - I still use the standard phone's if I'm out and about with the iPod - I find there's enough ambient noise in those situations that I'm not really bothered by the relatively poor sound quality.

7. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    That might not be a good idea given how thieves can recognise the headphones and know that the person who is wearing them is likely to have an expensive ipod in their pocket. Havent you read the news lately? Its the latest craze, apparently.

8. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    They'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands ;)