Headphones for Home Cinema

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Dancook, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Dancook

Dancook
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,787
      I've got a little home cinema / living room setup with 7.1.4 and PJ

I'm looking for some wireless headphones that I can hook up to the Anthem MRX1120 when I need to be quiet - late at night or when Louise needs a break from the noise.

Louise will likely still be on the same sofa as me, so nothing open-backed.

any suggestions? I'm thinking it likely £300+ mark

2. Dancook

Dancook
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,787
      Maybe they don't need to be wireless, the AVR is about 4-5 metres from the seating position, and could be a trip hazard.

3. kbfern

kbfern
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,985
      I use Sennheiser momentum 2 wireless and find them excellent and very comfortable. You can get them for around £300 new, wired ones are about £75 less.

Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless review

4. kbfern

kbfern
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,985
      When I bought them I spent a whole afternoon at a hi-fi store in Brum and listened back and forth across a range of wireless headphones mainly Sennheiser ranging from £150 and up to these and it was easy to compare the differences in sound and the 2.0 Momentum for me shone through.

5. Dancook

Dancook
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,787
      I have the wired momentum 2.0, they just didn't seem very much like headphones that would provide a solid alternative to surround sound.

Maybe I'm expecting too much!

6. kbfern

kbfern
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,985
      I did not realise you meant for surround sound, as you say you may need to look for something else although not sure how convincing headphones would be with producing a 360 degree sound field.

7. Dancook

Dancook
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,787
      I saw Sony's 9.1 ch wireless headphones

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDR-HW700DS-Surround-Wireless-Headphones-black/dp/B00JL93NZU

Maybe this area of the market is under developed or perhaps just a marketing ploy in itself..

Reading a review though, they are no good for [email protected]

my AVR may not even be able to support using such headphones either, still wrapping my head around how they are supposed to work.

8. only1hammy

only1hammy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +91
      I've used Sennheiser's RS185 open backs for almost two years and they are really very good for their purpose. You can also connect an extra set of headphones at the same time, which is what we do. Maybe you could listen together :p

If opens are completely off the table, the closed Sennheiser RS175 will provide better isolation and more impactful bass at the cost of sounding less spacious. I believe they also have a special 'surround' mode (DSP effect, similar to the Sonys), but I don't particularly like "processed" sound.

I've personally looked a few times into the Sony headphones you linked. The turn-off for me (apart from being closed) was you couldn't link two headsets unless you have the Japanese import version.
      I also don't understand the reliance on processing the video signal either.

9. Dancook

Dancook
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,787
      If Louise is trying to do some work, and the incessant gunfire is doing her head in - I'll assume open backs are no good :)

I might just have to plug in my momentum 2.0 to see what it's like, it shouldn't be such a common thing to need to do. Only since there's no heating in the house, and the lounge is the only room with the slightest ounce of warmth due to my electrical equipment

10. mcspongy

mcspongy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +635
      I have these, and they are pretty impressive (but I would demo before purchasing). I have only just discovered the [email protected] problem (so cannot use with recently purchased PS4 Pro outputting 4k, only when PS4 outputting normal HD, but no issues with UHD Blu Ray for 'normal movies').

You can connect them "before" (up to 3 HDMI inputs) or "after" the receiver - personally I output from the receiver to the Sony headphones processor, and that outputs to the display (it passes through HDMI on standby, so the video....up to 4k/30Hz will pass through whether you're using the headphones at the time or not).

One of the selling points for me was the relative cheapness of extending the warranty through Sony (and I have had to make a warranty claim, but only once).

11. Dancook

Dancook
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,787
      I wonder if 4k HDR 12-bit is an issue for it? but the lack of [email protected] alone means they are no good for me.

12. mcspongy

mcspongy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +635
      I've not got a HDR-compatible projector, but using a HD Fury Linker I was able to send a WCG HDR signal to my projector (the projector is not 12-bit processing though, that much I do know) which was passing through the Sony processor, but tbh I don't really know how to tell if it would be 12-bit.....it's all very complicated now :confused:.

Yes, I'm a bit gutted about the lack of [email protected], but I will just have to stick to using headphones from the receiver (or only have the 4k resolution from PS4 when I can get away with volume...but normally that's not very often). Maybe I do need to convert the garage lol.

Attached Files:

13. ch1z

ch1z

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +104
      I have the Sony's 9.1 ch wireless headphones, I would not describe them as 9.1ch it's a bit of a marketing ploy. I use them later at night if using the projector. I don't have a 4k setup so only used for 1080p etc. I run the Blu ray player, media box through it and works fine with the Marantz AVR to the projector. Works well in standby. You can control it all via the headphones and onscreen menu. As it box the headphones come with does the processing then you could use this without the AVR and you would have surround sound that way. It will accept Toslink. HDMI. I like it will automatically switch on when you put headphones on and off when you take them off.... The headphone are pretty comfy though your ears do get a bit warm so a break now and again is required *larger* etc.. They are fairly bulky so not ones I would recommend for wandering about with. There is to my ears good separation of sounds, but don't expect to be blown away and feel your in an Atmos setup.... I would suggest you try first to see if they work for you as good pair of stereo headphones might not be that different....

14. Dancook

Dancook
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,787
      Not much point trying the Sony pair as already determined no good for [email protected], and 4k 12bit HDR is unknown.

I could give me momentum 2.0 a go, I feel like I'm going to be disappointed though - my expectations are already too high.

15. gibbsy

gibbsy
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,170
      'Phones will in no way give anywhere near the audio experience as listening to a full speaker set up. I use mine to mostly listen to music late at night when the wife has gone to bed. Sometimes it's a TV programme and to me with blu ray and broadcast they simply serve a purpose of not annoying others in the house. I have two pair, both closed back, AKG K550s and Shure SRH1540s. Both are very comfortable and at £149 from RS the AKGs are excellent value. The Shures are £469 at RS.

The AKGs will give a good account with film and with the limitation of a stereo imaging they are probably good enough and will not fatigue your ears. As you would expect from a more expensive pair the Shures have a wider soundstage, not as wide as open backs but pretty good and they are my favourites and are beautiful with music. I use the Shures with a 3m extension cable.

My wife prefers the AKGs because she doesn't need to take her earings out. Therein may lie your answer, buy your wife a pair of AKGs to shut out your noise.:smashin:

16. Dancook

Dancook
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,787
      Just remembered, the PS4 has a headphone jack in the controller, this is going to be my simple solution

Momentum 2.0 -> PS4 Controller Jack...

That'll do for temporary headphone usage, shall not worry about 4k movies (can still play bluray through ps4) and shall not worry about surround sound.

17. Misguided

Misguided

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +19
      I appreciate you've found your solution but if you do decide to revisit surround sound headphones at any point it may be worth looking at the astro a40 and a50 gaming headsets. I use the wired a40s for gaming but have watched several movies with them and they are pretty good and extremely comfortable, I'm not sure how they stand up against the Sony set. I've seen them cheap at argos several times, approx £100 - £200. The A50 is wireless.

18. Dancook

Dancook
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,787
      I have the a50, and started to use the pc hooked up to play fallout on projector and have been using them. Thanks

19. OC2000

OC2000

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +50
      I also have the Sony 9.1 Wireless headphones. Great piece of kit. I have it setup on Zone 2 on my AV receiver. (I use the Denon AVR)

AVR output 2 to HDMI input 1 on the Sony 9.1 then have both zone 2 and main channels set to the same to hear through both the speakers and headphones (can mute the speakers if you only want sound via headphones)

To hear sound from the TV OS I then have an optical going out the TV to the optical input on the Sony 9.1 and switch the input to TV on the Sony receiver. This way, if I am only watching Netflix on the TV, I don't need to have the AVR on.

Took a bit of working out, but it works great now I have my head round it.

The great thing about this setup is it does not interfere with 4k 60p as you are only taking the audio. Nothing visual is being processed via the Sony headphone receiver.

20. jimbo20004000

jimbo20004000
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8
      If you want a true surround experience identical to a full 7.1.4 setup, then this is now possible using the Realiser A16 - Personalised 3D Audio.
      smyth Realiser A16 (read all about it in this link)
      I tried them at a recent hifi show, and it is incredibly realistic.
      It sounds as though you are listening to your own speaker system, and nothing is coming from the headphones, when infact all sound is coming from the headphones!
      You need to demo it to truly understand the realism. Your brain cannot tell the difference in terms of sound quality and sound signature of your own room/system. The only thing missing is the sub effects .1 channel of course, as a pair of headphones cannot move all that air to provide the same impact.
      i am going to buy the Realiser A16 when its fully available next spring.

21. mcspongy

mcspongy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +635
      Apologies to OP....so with this set up do you not have anything connected to the HDMI output of the Sony?

22. OC2000

OC2000

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +50
      That's right. If your AV receiver supports multi zone. You can use the AV receiver to send Audio / Visual to the main TV via HDMI output 1, and the same to the Sony Headphone receiver via output 2.

Since there is no video going out the Sony Headphone receiver you will only get the sound.

You will need to set both the Main Zone and Zone 2 to the same AV HDMI input otherwise you will get sound and video from the main zone from the blu-ray player (for example) and sound from Sky Q via the headphones with no video.

You will only be able to do this with sources connected directly to the AVR. Sound coming from the TV OS i.e. Netflix will need to be connected via TV optical out to the Sony receiver optical in.

I hope that makes sense.

23. OC2000

OC2000

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +50
      McSpongy pointed something out that I was unaware of and verified my method unfortunately does not work.

When using both the main zone and zone 2 at the same time the signal is degraded to 1080p (tested with Ps4 Pro) not sure if this is due to the headphones or whether the signal is degraded when both are set to the same channel as the PS4 Pro remained at 4k if zone 2 was connected to a different input channel.