Headphones again!

Got a Turtle Beach Stealth 600 from the AVF classifieds recently and I'm pleased with them. Been on various watch lists for a while as a potential replacement for my aging TB X41. Windows Sonic has taken a bit of getting used to after using the X41's DD 5.1 for many years.

If you haven't tried it already give the DTS Sound Unbound app on the store a try. It's the same thing as Windows Sonic but it sounded better to me on my cheap Turtle Beach 2.0 headset.

I also recently bought this headset for my Xbox One X but if I'm honest, I am quite underwhelmed by them (I know they are in the budget range).

Windows Sonic for headphones vs DTS vs Dolby Digital all sound pretty much the same on this headset as do all the 4 different pre-sets that the headset also has (these ALL sound 100% the same - its just a gimmick...!) And as for the supposedly 'Super Human Hearing' that some Turtle Beach headsets have - this just cuts out all the bass so you end up with a VERY tinny sound......
Finally, the max volume of the headset is also VERY low - the ONLY way to increase it is via the Dolby Digital app and increase the graphic equalizers.....

The only decent thing about this headset is that it connects wirelessly to the console.......

Now thinking of swapping them out for these :

Last edited:
I also recently bought this headset for my Xbox One X but if I'm honest, I am quite underwhelmed by them (I know they are in the budget range).

Windows Sonic for headphones vs DTS vs Dolby Digital all sound pretty much the same on this headset as do all the 4 different pre-sets that the headset also has (these ALL sound 100% the same - its just a gimmick...!) And as for the supposedly 'Super Human Hearing' that some Turtle Beach headsets have - this just cuts out all the bass so you end up with a VERY tinny sound......
Finally, the max volume of the headset is also VERY low - the ONLY way to increase it is via the Dolby Digital app and increase the graphic equalizers.....

The only decent thing about this headset is that it connects wirelessly to the console.......

Now thinking of swapping them out for these :

They all do the same thing so should sound the same, you will only experience small differences if any with certain games. For me Windows Sonic and Dolby Atmos sound almost identical with my headset but I hear slightly more detail with Atmos so I tend to use that.

On my cheap stereo headset the DTS sounded better to me.

The headset you have now and the headset your looking at are in the same range so I am not sure if you will get better sound from one or the other.

What did you expect superhuman hearing was? It's a feature that is designed to let you hear movement like footsteps or the reloading of weapons in multiplayer games to give you the edge over the competition. How could you hear those things with the bass booming in your ears?

They all do the same thing so should sound the same, you will only experience small differences if any with certain games. For me Windows Sonic and Dolby Atmos sound almost identical with my headset but I hear slightly more detail with Atmos so I tend to use that.

On my cheap stereo headset the DTS sounded better to me.

Does it make a difference whether Dolby Atmos is connected to the headset wirelessly vs via a 3.5mm cable (when the headset is connected to the controller for example)?

The headset you have now and the headset your looking at are in the same range so I am not sure if you will get better sound from one or the other.

My current headset has 40mm driver in the earcups whereas the headset I linked to has 53mm drivers so assumed they would sound better - I could be wrong though (not clued up with this stuff!).

What did you expect superhuman hearing was? It's a feature that is designed to let you hear movement like footsteps or the reloading of weapons in multiplayer games to give you the edge over the competition. How could you hear those things with the bass booming in your ears?

Yea, I guess you are correct here - not really sure what I expected, its just that the quality of the sound here takes a massive nose dive. Perhaps I expected it to sound a little better than it actually does!

Does it make a difference whether Dolby Atmos is connected to the headset wirelessly vs via a 3.5mm cable (when the headset is connected to the controller for example)?

My current headset has 40mm driver in the earcups whereas the headset I linked to has 53mm drivers so assumed they would sound better - I could be wrong though (not clued up with this stuff!).

Yea, I guess you are correct here - not really sure what I expected, its just that the quality of the sound here takes a massive nose dive. Perhaps I expected it to sound a little better than it actually does!

Do you have some wired headphones that you could try to the controller with the different settings ?

I have the Astro A50's and a Pair of HyperX Wired Headphones and use them both with Windows Sonic and Atmos and they sound great. I tried DTS and on some games it sounded even better.
I guess it depends on what games you play.
In MP you can tell the difference between them imo.

Could it be the TB are still using their settings rather than the Xbox Ones ?
The Hyper X Headphones I think are fantastic for the price, I personally don't rate the TB for sound quality. I used to have a wired pair years ago and then the TBPX5's and they were decent but have been blown away by the Hyper X and Astro's imo.

Do you have some wired headphones that you could try to the controller with the different settings ?

I have the Astro A50's and a Pair of HyperX Wired Headphones and use them both with Windows Sonic and Atmos and they sound great. I tried DTS and on some games it sounded even better.

The Hyper X Headphones I think are fantastic for the price, I personally don't rate the TB for sound quality. I used to have a wired pair years ago and then the TBPX5's and they were decent but have been blown away by the Hyper X and Astro's imo.

I do have a pair of the PlayStation Wireless stereo headset 2.0 which I have connected to my Xbox controller via the 3.5mm audio jack - I am convinced these actually sound better than the TB I have purchased!

Might have to have a further muck about with both these headsets tonight along with Windows Sonic and Dolby Atmos on my console (which I have paid for) and report back....!

I did actually change some of the graphic equalizer settings within the Dolby Atmos app, which did improve the sound quality of the Turtle Beach 600 headset whilst playing The Master Chief Collection - Halo: CE Evolved.

But - whilst playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider, the same headset has a rather low overall volume when using the same settings even though the game officially supports Dolby Atmos (if that even makes any difference?!!!).

Going to try my PlayStation headset connected to my controller, in Stereo, to see if there are any differences....

...hmm - I'm still debating if its worth trying out a pair of the Hyper X to see if there is any improvement over my TB 600 headset (the overall volume is just too low).

Which Astros do you have specifically?

When I tried my Playstation headset (connected via 3.5mm headset jack), the sound was very 'tinny' actually although they were louder than the TB headset (I was still using the Dolby Atmos app), so don't think I will continue to use these.......

...hmm - I'm still debating if its worth trying out a pair of the Hyper X to see if there is any improvement over my TB 600 headset (the overall volume is just too low).

Which Astros do you have specifically?

When I tried my Playstation headset (connected via 3.5mm headset jack), the sound was very 'tinny' actually although they were louder than the TB headset (I was still using the Dolby Atmos app), so don't think I will continue to use these.......

I have these - A50 Gen 2's I believe. Got them on a deal a few years back from Argos.

I also have these - Amazon product ASIN B076GT6XJ9HyperX HX-HSCA-RD Cloud Alpha

I use the A50's for SP Games and Hyper X for MP games when I need to chat.

...gonna try those Hyper X Cloud Alpha - I'm really not digging the sound quality of my TB 600.

Appreciate the help.
:)

...gonna try those Hyper X Cloud Alpha - I'm really not digging the sound quality of my TB 600.

Appreciate the help.

No worries, sound is very subjective though but imo the TB you are paying for the convenience of having them wireless rather than sound quality.

I like the Hyper X, they sound great to me with Windows Sonic or Dolby Digital.

Appreciate the help.

Just to update the above.....

My Hypers arrived the other day, was using them last night (was playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider) - wow, what a difference vs the TB 600 headset !o_O So much better....!!!!

The volume was much louder for starters (didn't even have them on full - the TB I did have to use them on full volume due to them being so low!!!) and I'm getting a much richer all-round surround sound when using Dolby Atmos. Bass is also so much more punchy. The actual ear cups also cut out so much more ambient noise - which probably helps with the improved sound quality (the TB 600 foam cups do not cut any noise!).

A 100% improvement!
:thumbsup:

sending my 10months old SteelSeries arctis 9x back to get the Turtle beech Stealth 700 Gen 2 as they look liked they upped their game on the new gen 2.

hope there better than the first gen.

If anyone wants a new wired headset in the near future - don't think you'd go far wrong with Drop: Passions lead here (formerly Massdrop)

PC37x were superb and initial views indicate these are excellent also with better bass response. Easy to drive to so either controller should be fine with them :)

Update for the Astro A50's is out to support Series X. Just updated my Gen 3's. :D :D

I did mine via the command centre app on PC mate.

Just something to point out is there's a bit about Dolby Atmos on their page that is missing a detail, it says:

For Spatial Audio, the ASTRO A50 and MixAmp Pro TR can utilize Dolby Atmos by installing the Dolby Access app on Xbox or PC (no purchase required)

You can download the Dolby Access app for free, but the actual Dolby Atmos audio profile is a paid add-on within the app. It's the same with the DTS audio option; you download the app and then have to purchase the audio option. The only headset spatial audio option that's free is the Windows Sonic one, which is already baked into the Xbox OS.

sending my 10months old SteelSeries arctis 9x back to get the Turtle beech Stealth 700 Gen 2 as they look liked they upped their game on the new gen 2.

hope there better than the first gen.
Interested to hear your thoughts on these. I’m torn between these two sets to replace my Plantronics RIG800s that have died

So I tried using my Bose QC35 ii’s tonight, and although there was clear positioning of audio, bizarrely the volume controls on the headset wouldn’t work. Anyone experienced this using “standard“ headphones plugged into the controller? This is using the Atmos app

Delete didnt realize was in xbox thread

Last edited:
Has anyone got first hand comparison between the Steelseries 9X and 7X?

Has anyone got first hand comparison between the Steelseries 9X and 7X?
No but I've got the pro wireless and they are great

has anyone tried the steelseries 9x and what the thoughts are any problem with disconnect or any problems? i've read some bad reviews but not sure many people do the firmware update that fix problems, currently got lucid sound ls35x and nothing wrong with them at all just fancy a new headset,

and thinking of
steelseries 9x
corsair hs75 xb
Razer Kaira Pro

anyone tried any of them and can say how loud they can go and sound quality
? as i had headsets that just didnt go loud enough like the turtle beach,

I liked the 9X but they disconnected A LOT - I sent them back to Amazon - but they sounded wonderful!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom