Headphones again!

GaryMo

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I honestly thought there were a set of chat headphones with the Xbox One I bought over Christmas so I jumped in the loft for the box and found I was totally wrong! Thought they would have been part of the bundle considering the emphasis on multiplayer games but I guess if MS can get more money (or market the console cheaper?) then they'll do that.

Anyway, I need a set of headphones for some pending Battlefield games and other malarkey and have seen the upcoming set of MS stereo headphones retailing at £59.99.
Do they seem a good bet or would I be better spending my money somewhere else? The gaming headphone scene seems like a minefield to me and I'm really unsure what's what.
I don't mind spending more but ideally (not set in stone) wouldn't want to go above £100.
They'll always come in handy for late night gaming to so at least I won't have to turn the volume right down for fear of waking the kids!

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

I'm pretty sure every box comes with a headset, that was one of the changes they made post E3 backlash.
I was on the market for a gaming headset too last week and went for the Astro A50 although I've heard since that the Steelseries H Wireless were even better. Problem is both cost around £250.
I'm sure someone will point you towards something pretty good for £100 or less.

Thanks. I really couldn't justify £250 as I'm a casual gamer at best playing for 30 minutes here and there.

EDIT - Just had another look and found them in a wicker box I have behind the sofa where we store all the remote controls! At least I have a set for now but will still be looking for a stereo set and possibly surround if possible?

Last edited:
I'd also like to know what to go for. I was all set on the Polks. Budget of <£150

EDIT: I was replying to scary - GaryMo for your budget the same applies I'd suggest TurtleBeach ebay account - Wireless surround sound headphones for under £100!

I did quiet a lot of reasearch and weighed up my options. Ask yourself do you want/need any of the following:

1. Not bothered about surround sound, for now? - If you are happy with just Stereo and want a near wireless solution then something like the Polk4 Shots. Until 5.1 is supported by the chat adapter though, you are stuck with stereo.

2. OK you want surround sound. Next question, can you live with a cable running from your console to your headset? With the new update coming, 5.1 can be delivered via the optical. This means many of the legacy/gaming headsets from the 360/PS4 will work.

3. Are you happy with a refurb/used? There are LOTS of great deals on eBay as many are selling their headsets ready for next gen (maybe not realising the next gen ones won't be as good, yet). A good place to start is the Turtlebeach eBay account. They sell a number of refurbished headsets for huge reduced prices (with 3 months warranty). e.g a pair of XP400's just sold for £62. These have a brand new price on the Turtlebeach website of £199!

Astro A40's (wired) and A50's (wireless) have some used within budget for you. You will be buying completely used though (not refurbs) so there is an element of risk with that I guess.

4. Do you want a wireless option? And would you prefer using your own batteries or a battery pack?

So in summary:

- Best Stereo Headset under <£150 - I'd say something like the Polk4Shot is specifically designed for Xbox One. Is it the best option though? Not in my view, because you are limited by the sound quality (for now)

- Best Surround Sound Headset under <£150 - If you can live with refurb and save some money the XP400's (battery pack) £90 on eBay (from Turtle Beach). The XP500's (no battery pack) are also £90. Your own batteries or battery pack is a personal preference so nice to have both options. On an auction you may get them even cheaper. These are wireless too!

- Best wired headset under that budget? There are LOADS out there for used/refurb. Turtle Beach and even Astro's can be had for that price quiet easily. I picked up Astro A40's for £106 delivered (used) comes with the mixamp and all the cables boxed :)

- If you want brand new? Then the best wired option would be the Astro A30's - fantastic for home use (the A40's are tournament grade). They do stretch the budget a little however you are getting the very best in my research - £170 - A30 | ASTRO Gaming

If you want under budget brand new? You'd be crazy to go for Turtle Beach (the prices are double if not more new). Have a look on the Turtlebeach website - Video Gaming Headsets, Sound Cards, Audio Processors - Turtle Beach, Inc.

Just remember - any headset NOT designed for the Xbox One will need the Chat Adapter (which costs £20) so factor that in when looking at headsets in your budget.

The advantage of "legacy" is the option for optical 5.1 surround sound. Next Gen headset's wont get that (yet...). You can also use any headset that has a standard 3.5mm jack that uses the CITA standard. Basically, if it works on your mobile (mic and speakers) then you can use it. This actually opens up a number of options in terms of console headsets (even PS3 ones, providing they didn't just use bluetooth).

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
So in summary:

Amazing reply! Thank you for taking the time out to reply with all that information, I really appreciate that :)

Sorry to hijack Gary! I'm sure others will find this very helpful however.

It's OK, I was asking the same question myself the other day :) hence why I know so much.

Hopefully my A40s will be here tomo. The seller had a good rep so fingers crossed all OK. If not, Astro customer service is very good for any repairs / replacement parts. Should be OK though :)

I'm pretty sure every box comes with a headset, that was one of the changes they made post E3 backlash.
I was on the market for a gaming headset too last week and went for the Astro A50 although I've heard since that the Steelseries H Wireless were even better. Problem is both cost around £250.
I'm sure someone will point you towards something pretty good for £100 or less.
Have a look here , astro 7.1 mix amp and astro a40 at a price you simply will not beat .
Everything you need for first class gaming £169 in the pack (new aswell ) , that's even cheaper than Astros own site
ASTRO A40 Audio System for Other Products at GameStop

Last edited:
Decisions, decisions...! I was all set on the Polks perviously, justifying the purchase so that I could use them as a set of cans for outside of the house (mainly at my workdesk), in place of the buds that I use mainly for the gym. If I have Astros, I'm confined to using them at home only. Factoring the additional £20 for the adaptor, thats nearly £200 that I'm not sure I can justify for gaming and a bit of midnight weekend movie watching.

I got used A50s on ebay for £190 (was gutted to find refurbished ones next day for the same price). They had been lightly used for less than 6 months so are in great condition, I tried them on my PS3 with Last of Us and the sound is amazing. Since I don't have a 5.1 system this is a great substitute (not sure I would have bothered otherwise), compatible with my 360 and PS3. Already preordered the XB1 adapter to be delivered with my Titanfall bundle :)

I have set of turtle beach xp510's but thinking of getting rid for the astro a50's

Can any one here compare the 2 at all, don't get me wrong the turtles are good but just seems to be way too many setting and wot not for what I want. The Astros seem to have 3 settings and that's it where as the turtles have 7 settings and loads of presets to download.

I've had a set of Astro A40's for about 2yrs now. They are simply the best gaming headset I've ever used.

Was going for either the polks or Astros myself but after reading and watching some very good reviews I decided to go for the steelseries wireless h.

Cheapest I found them for was £230 from very.co.uk

Use headphone for movies, gaming, music etc so could nearly justify the cost...

I've had a set of Astro A40's for about 2yrs now. They are simply the best gaming headset I've ever used.
Couldn't agree more . If you don't mind a wired headset then the above post says it all.
I have owned turtles x41, xp500s and px5 ( Bluetooth) and none of them match the sound quality of the astro headset .
The build quality of the Astros is also in a different league , it's almost a shame to take them out the box .
Trust me for £169 and £20 for the adaptor you will NOT get better and you won't be left disappointed .

Couldn't agree more . If you don't mind a wired headset then the above post says it all.
I have owned turtles x41, xp500s and px5 ( Bluetooth) and none of them match the sound quality of the astro headset .
The build quality of the Astros is also in a different league , it's almost a shame to take them out the box .
Trust me for £169 and £20 for the adaptor you will NOT get better and you won't be left disappointed .

Would you say they are more comfortable than the xp500's

It's a shame as I need wireless hence would need the A50's but I'm guessing they similar to the A40's.

They are miles better in every way to ANY turtle beach headset , trust me there is a huge gulf between the 2 brands in every aspect .
The a50 is basically the same as the 40 but wireless .

Was going for either the polks or Astros myself but after reading and watching some very good reviews I decided to go for the steelseries wireless h.

Cheapest I found them for was £230 from very.co.uk

Use headphone for movies, gaming, music etc so could nearly justify the cost...

Now you've got me looking at them also. They're lovely! Man, this is getting ridiculous. I was all set on spending under £100 quid 6 weeks ago.

If I do decide to go the wireless digital route, whats the best way to 'share' the optical signal between my AV receiver and headphone transmitter? Just keep swapping them over? Splitter (if one exists)? Or use the AV receiver's optitcal out (delay?)?

You could use a splitter, or with the steelsseries the transmitter has optical pass through. So Xbox to transmitter, then from there to the av receiver.
£250 inc an xbox adapter is a lot of dosh to spend though. I use headphones frequently though so I don't mind the investment.

I'm buying a second console for my living room( titanfall bundle) and I needed to go wireless with this console , I've read hundreds of reviews including the review above and I've gone for the steelseries set .
Arrived today and they look very very nice , going to set them up tomorrow on my other console and see how they compare to the a40 .

I'm buying a second console for my living room( titanfall bundle) and I needed to go wireless with this console , I've read hundreds of reviews including the review above and I've gone for the steelseries set .
Arrived today and they look very very nice , going to set them up tomorrow on my other console and see how they compare to the a40 .

Mine also arrived yesterday, haven't set them up yet but they look a very well made bit of kit.
Would love to know what you think of them compared to the Astros as that's whats I was going for in the 1st place.

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom