Headphones again!

Well after days of research and and asking you lot a few fair questions (which I'd like to say thank you for answering them) I decided to go wired (which isn't as bad for my set up once I thought about it)

I finally purchased my self a set of these bad boys

ImageUploadedByAVForums1394222804.793884.jpg

It was the A40's that I had on when playing BF4 at euro gamer and I was impressed but never followed through with a purchase due to the set being wired.

Managed to get them for £179 thanks to a pal that gets discount at Argos.

1st impressions: these are fantastic for sound and so far for comfort (but I'm not jumping the gun yet a few late night sessions will determine the comfort especially when I get my specs on)

No games yet just tried them with a bluray and wow! Simply brilliant.

Nice. Unfortunately I can't afford nor justify $250 on a headset. Especially with VR seemingly right around the corner and possibly something I will want. And that's just for the A40's. 50's are even more than that!

Well after days of research and and asking you lot a few fair questions (which I'd like to say thank you for answering them) I decided to go wired (which isn't as bad for my set up once I thought about it)

I finally purchased my self a set of these bad boys

View attachment 467828

It was the A40's that I had on when playing BF4 at euro gamer and I was impressed but never followed through with a purchase due to the set being wired.

Managed to get them for £179 thanks to a pal that gets discount at Argos.

1st impressions: these are fantastic for sound and so far for comfort (but I'm not jumping the gun yet a few late night sessions will determine the comfort especially when I get my specs on)

No games yet just tried them with a bluray and wow! Simply brilliant.
Great choice , you will struggle to get a better wired headset , they blow any turtle beach model out the water , 2yr warranty and after sales is fabtastic , so a good purchase for the price .
I'm struggling to pick the bones between these and the steelseries so I'm not going too anymore .
I have wired A40 in my loft and the steelseries in the living room where I preferred wireless as my dogs would have a field day playing with the wires .
The only thing I will say is a lot of people are saying there's not much between the steelseries and A50 which to me will make the A50 one fantastic wireless headset as the former has blown me away !

lol... one guy out of the 20+ that have them on these forums now. And it's just the virtual surround sound that he's describing as "just sounds better to my ears on the X41's."

But if you want to take one opinion over all the others then that's cool. Personally I'll think of it like your average reviews. They vary. And from what I've seen, only 5% of users (if he's the 1 out of 20) were not happy with their performance compared to a more expensive headset. Outside of that, I own them and can personally attest that they've blown out of the water my mid-grade gaming headsets that a lot of people have owned in the past (Sharkoon's, Tritton's). So in this respect, I have an expectation as to what I want MS to put out for the XB1 and believe me, the bar is set very high with a really freakin good price point for the quality.
I have to agree that some of the reviews give this headset a glowing reference and for the price you would be better off with those than the turtle beaches . Sony have the clout to design and make headphones of such high quality where as Microsoft have to rely on third party's to do that for them hence why I think Microsoft won't ever come close .
If you compare that headset and price to the official Microsoft headset and price you only have to look at the 2 side by side to see what I'm talking about and that's before you even plug them in !

reading this has really is worrying me now , ive just purchased some px4s which ive got to say are very good compared to my old px5s , they were partly funded by the sale of my tritton warheads which were the best headsets ive had and were gutted when they didn't work with x1 , but ive ordered the x07s from argos but to see there only stereo has quite annoyed me , question is are ms gonna provide ss in a future update or are these headsets only gonna provide stereo in which case I might aswell save the cash and use my px4s with a headset adapter , I bought the px4s for use with my ps4 but I might aswell use them with both consoles

reading this has really is worrying me now , ive just purchased some px4s which ive got to say are very good compared to my old px5s , they were partly funded by the sale of my tritton warheads which were the best headsets ive had and were gutted when they didn't work with x1 , but ive ordered the x07s from argos but to see there only stereo has quite annoyed me , question is are ms gonna provide ss in a future update or are these headsets only gonna provide stereo in which case I might aswell save the cash and use my px4s with a headset adapter , I bought the px4s for use with my ps4 but I might aswell use them with both consoles

I also looked into this and to quiet honest no one can tell me wether or not you would or in the future get 5.1 from them as the article states it seems all company's aren't giving a clear answer and for £129 I'm not taking the risk. For an extra £40 you can get the astro A40's which is what I've done and they are simply awesome!

to be honest chattoe im not sure if I would like the wired option , the px4s ive got im quite impressed with being dual frequency I don't get any interference like I did with px5s , Astros are the only headsets I haven't had , I did email limexb a while ago asking whats the difference in sound quality between tbs and Astros and they said there both good , so ive never bothered with them , each to there own tastes really , but whats got me in a dilemma now is it worth having these x07s now ??

to be honest chattoe im not sure if I would like the wired option , the px4s ive got im quite impressed with being dual frequency I don't get any interference like I did with px5s , Astros are the only headsets I haven't had , I did email limexb a while ago asking whats the difference in sound quality between tbs and Astros and they said there both good , so ive never bothered with them , each to there own tastes really , but whats got me in a dilemma now is it worth having these x07s now ??
If I had to buy another I would go with the cheapest of the 2, there both the same apart from the ear padding by the looks of it , or sell your headset and get either the A50 or steelseries wireless h ( I love them ) and get virtual 7.1 out of the box ........NOW !

I get what your saying, I totally ruled out the wired option then it dawned on me that the headset will mainly get used when my 2 year old isn't around so I don't have to worry about her tripping over it. I've run an optical cable along the back of the furniture which is right next to where I sit. I also have a plug next to me for power so it isn't as bad as I first thought. I also was told that the wired option Is better quality sound and I have to agree.

I've never had Astros either but after remembering that they where the ones I had on at eurogamer while playing BF4 and the reviews I've read plus the recommendations from other members here I decided to go for it. I believe I've made the right choice and am very happy. I just need the chat adapter then I'm sorted.

I personally would wait for the reviews to come in regarding the xo7 then make your choice. If MS do patch in 5.1 for the adapter which will make the xo7 surround then they are definitely worth considering.

I get what your saying, I totally ruled out the wired option then it dawned on me that the headset will mainly get used when my 2 year old isn't around so I don't have to worry about her tripping over it. I've run an optical cable along the back of the furniture which is right next to where I sit. I also have a plug next to me for power so it isn't as bad as I first thought. I also was told that the wired option Is better quality sound and I have to agree.

I've never had Astros either but after remembering that they where the ones I had on at eurogamer while playing BF4 and the reviews I've read plus the recommendations from other members here I decided to go for it. I believe I've made the right choice and am very happy. I just need the chat adapter then I'm sorted.

I personally would wait for the reviews to come in regarding the xo7 then make your choice. If MS do patch in 5.1 for the adapter which will make the xo7 surround then they are definitely worth considering.
Chattoe why don't you mod your old xbox one crappy headset that came with the console ?
You can then use your mic now .
It really is simple to do and takes around 15 minutes , also saves you £20

your right mate maybe I should wait for reviews , I used those headsets at eurogamer , didn't realise they were Astros ,they were good but being wired gets in the way , being an old arse when im online with a few beers I keep having to get up for a pee !! so wired is just awkward haha !! ,
worrying though ive just read on this forum that someones had problems with polks !

I just posted a link to some unboxings of the xo series and the polls on the other thread and I personally think the polks look very cheap and nasty

your right mate maybe I should wait for reviews , I used those headsets at eurogamer , didn't realise they were Astros ,they were good but being wired gets in the way , being an old arse when im online with a few beers I keep having to get up for a pee !! so wired is just awkward haha !! ,
worrying though ive just read on this forum that someones had problems with polks !
For a little bit more you could go with the A50 or Steelseries Wireless H both wireless and between £229 and £249

For a little bit more you could go with the A50 or Steelseries Wireless H both wireless and between £229 and £249
Have owned both of these. Definately the best two headsets I've owned but the Steelseries is the winner if I had to choose one.

Had to send mine back unfortunately due to a charging issue with the transmitter so am now going the separates route ie headphones (not headset), mixamp and mic.

Purchased the headphones (AKG K550 @ £110) so just the mixamp and mic to get.

am now going the separates route ie headphones (not headset), mixamp and mic.

Purchased the headphones (AKG K550 @ £110) so just the mixamp and mic to get.

I've been thinking about this route also, Only bit I have no Idea about is the "mic side" of things ?
Any suggestions, links, to give me some Ideas and possible solutions :smashin:

Any kind of clip on mic will work with these , just plug it into the mic socket on the Astro mixamp

I've been thinking about this route also, Only bit I have no Idea about is the "mic side" of things ?
Any suggestions, links, to give me some Ideas and possible solutions :smashin:
A chap recommended this mic over in the PS4 forums mate, though I don't know whether they'll be any compatibility issues with the Xbox:

Zalman ZMMIC1 Lapel Microphone:Amazon.co.uk:Computers & Accessories

The mic will be my last purchase as sadly I've only one friend who's upgraded to the One and his is still in storage whilst he moves house!

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I'm hoping for some advice. A few years ago I bought a mixamp and the AD700s. They've not missed a beat and have been absolutely fantastic. I don't mind having wires as I game at a desk. A few years ago it was almost a general consensus that the combo I had was just about as good as it gets. Have things moved on at all or do I still have a top notch system?

I picked up the £59.99 XB1 surround set the other day (had the adapter anyway so took that back and paid the extra 40 quid)

Whilst they are good for the price, I noticed the sound dropping out a fair bit on FIFA but not on TF strangely enough. So I guess this is a software issue not a hardware one, which can be patched, hopefully.

If you can try and spend a little more and avoid turtle beaches completely , there's too many issues with them for me to ever buy a pair again( I've had 3) .
The quality of them isnt very good but if you like hissing, crackling and sound dropouts all the time then fill ya boots !
If you don't mind wired , you won't get better ASTRO A40 Audio System for Other Products at GameStop

RE Turtle Beaches - Do those issues happen on the 5ghz models too?

RE Turtle Beaches - Do those issues happen on the 5ghz models too?

I had the X42 Turtle Beaches and they are dual band 2.4/5 and definitely they had hissing and crackling from time to time. It wasn't terrible, you could mainly notice it in menus when stuff was quiet. That is absent completely (or I'm going deaf) on the Steelseries wireless H.

I can confirm the the SS wireless H have ZERO interference. Ive had these headphones for over a week now and not had a single issue with pops or crackles at all. Crystal clear chat too. Great headset but can take some time to get the equalizer settings right, but once you have got your desired setting they are awesome headphones.

I can confirm the the SS wireless H have ZERO interference. Ive had these headphones for over a week now and not had a single issue with pops or crackles at all. Crystal clear chat too. Great headset but can take some time to get the equalizer settings right, but once you have got your desired setting they are awesome headphones.
What settings do you have on your SS Mikey ?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom