Headphone switch

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by dogleg, Apr 7, 2016.

1. dogleg

dogleg
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've had all sorts of PC's and OS's but the one common s/w design issue about which I get irritated is this.........If I want to switch from listening to my music via my headphones output to my speakers, I can only achieve that by unplugging the headphones.
    I have an iMAC with OS X Maverick v10.10.5 AND two Windows machines, (XP and WIN 7) and they all require that I fiddle around the back of the machines to switch the sound output destination.
    There must be a widget/gadget/ software runaround to allow fast switching of output devices.
    Can anyone tell me where and/or how?
    Thank you.

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,344
    Windows 7 shouldn't. Assuming the two outputs are separate then you can change the default audio device to switch between them. It's not quite the two clicks it could be, but at five clicks it's not particularly inconvenient unless you're doing it multiple times a day.

Bring up the playback devices box, right click on the other output and choose set as default. You can bring it up on Windows 10 by right clicking the sound icon in the system tray, I'm not sure if it's the same for Windows 7.

If your hardware (or sound drivers) tie the two outputs together then that won't work, but if they're not being presented to Windows as separate outputs then no software is going to be able to see them either.

I've not sure what the OS X situation is, and the whole Windows audio system was replaced in Vista so XP is likely to differ too.

3. E-com

E-com

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +537
    alt+volume commands brings up the audio devices window in os-x