1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headphone sockets

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by TheIronMonkey, Jan 13, 2004.

1. TheIronMonkey

TheIronMonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey. I'm in the market for a TV, but want one which allows me to still have the sound coming through the TV set whilst also utilising the headphone socket.
    As i've no idea what this fuctionality/technology is called i can't search for a TV on the internet.
    Could anyone please enlighten me as to what it's called, and possibly which makes do a lot of sets which allow this.

Cheers in advance.

2. TheIronMonkey

TheIronMonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm begging for your help! :D

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I think you'll find that most modern tv's will continue to play sound through their speakers even with headphones in the h/f socket .(unless you mute the sound) It does with my tv at least :)

4. TheIronMonkey

TheIronMonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i went into a small independant shop, and tried most of the TVs there and only one worked: a Panasonic 32" at £1500 :rolleyes:
    Ideally, i want one that is around the 24" size, but it's proving very difficult. I've heard that there's a way around it by getting cordless headphones and taking them out through the scart socket, but i can't imagine how his works.
    Anyway, thanks for your reply.:)

5. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    If you have an amp then you could use the anolgue outs on the tv to the amp and use the headphone socket on the amp (if it has one) or alternatively use the amp to drive some speakers instead of listening to the tv speakers (may sound better) and use the headphone socket on the tv for headphone use.

just a thought:)

6. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Most, if not all Sony sets allow headphone sound in addition to volume through the speakers.

Volume to speakers is via the normal vol -/+ buttons - headphone vol is adjusted seperately via the on screen menu.

7. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    If the tv has audio out sockets on the rear you can buy a small headphone amplifier from maplins for around £25. I have done this as I am a little deaf and it allows me to hear using headphones whilst not deafening everyone else in the house, and nextdoor! It also has a pitch control so I can boost the high frequencies, which are the ones I can't hear properly.

As you say most tv's mute when the headphones are placed into the tv headphone socket.

Interesting quirk though is that my tv has a digital sound input from the dvd player and 5:1 decoder built in. When fed via this source no sound is available out of the stero out on the rear, and the headphone amplifier is mute. The tv headphone socket still works though but mutes the tv speakers as normal.