Headphone recommendations

Swinnydon

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Looking to buy a new pair of headphones that I'll be using with an upcoming purchase of either an iPod or one of the new Zen NX's. Anybody have any recommendations? Not sure what kind of price I'm looking at since these are going to be my introduction to portable audio.

Cheers for any recommendations of models and best prices! :clap:

If you wanted a really good set of in-ear type 'phones,with excellent rejection of external noise,then these are superb.... http://www.pjbox.co.uk/Etymotic/etymoticindex.htm
They aren't cheap at about £129(that's the ER6),but the quality is excellent...I have a set I use with both a Walkman and a laptop.

Or try the shure EC2.. great for the train like the ones above they block out alot of sound (and are cheaper) plus come with a nice case and 6 sets of various size plugs (3 foam/3 plastic) They are about £80/90 on the web.

Cheers

Matt

Originally posted by Swinnydon
erm....which? :-/

Sennheiser PX200, the link should take you straight there. HiFiBitz is about the cheapest price.

The PX200's are excellent, can thoroughly recommend them, use them all the time with my iPOD, not too pricey either and way better than the in ear ones that come with the iPOD. They've also got a neat case.

If you're after noise reduction/compensation ones apparently Sennheiser are just about to bring out a new pair might be worth a look - especially if you fly alot.

I had the sennheiser noise canceling phones.. made my head hurt.. and did not work that well..

Sent them back and bought the Shure ones instead.

Matt

If you want noise rejection,the Etymotics take some beating,as does their sound quality.
Most of the noise cancelling 'phones aren't as effective,and the sound quality leaves a lot to be desired.

I've heard that the Senn PX-250's are worth the extra cash over their lower brothers...

For use with my Laptop and Sony 925 Portable CD player I use Sennheiser MX500 (about £20) in-ears 'phones. IMHO these are absolutely awesome! :clap:

For use with my 'Proper' HiFi I use Sennheiser HD600, these are just simply mental :devil: But a bit over the top for mobile use.

Ian.

Well I decided to go for some Shure E2's in the end which set me back $90 including delivery (I'm currently in Seattle). Still waiting for my Zen player to arrive but they are pretty damed good sounding with my cheapo Philips discman! :) Since the plugs go right into the ear as well, they're almost as good as noise cancelling headphones and also means that having the volume on the discman set to 2 or 3 is normally enough so should conserve some battery power as well!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom