1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

headphone recommendation

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Aita, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Aita

Aita

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello have been pricing and comparing headphones for about 2 weeks now and need to make a decision on which to get based on three criteria in this order 1. Sound Isolation (will not be heard and no one will hear me) 2. DEEP BASS (rap/rock heavy though i venture into jazz/reggae) 3. Soud quality (no point in hearing the music if you can hear the lyrics right?) ive priced all of these headphones within my range and they will be used with a CD/MP3 player with a Boostaroo headphone amp(dont laugh i heard it was good and i got it for $5) here are the headphones:

1.Senn. HD280 Pro
    2. Senn HD212 Pro
    3. Beyer DT231
    4.Senn EH250
    5.Sony MDR-V700DJ
    6.Technics RP-DH 1200
    7.Stanton DJ Pro 2000
    8.Audio Technica ATH-D40fs
    9.Sony MDR-XD400
    10.Sony V7506/V6

if anyone can tell me which if these closed headphones fit the criteria the best or order them in which closest fits and the next closest and so on. Really appreciate any and all help (P.S. my last headphones were Sony V300's which i found lacking in bass and decent in sound quality if that helps to judge them
    Aita

2. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    There's boosted bass and deep bass. I've noticed the two seem to be somewhat exclusive at this price / headphone type.

First of all, if you want true isolation you can scratch the DT231 and the XD400 off the list. These are closed or semi-closed phones and don't leak badly but they don't isolate much. DJ-orientated phones like the MDR-V700DJ and the RP-DJ1210 do big mid-bass, but low bass impact tails off. The V700 is also probably the most uncomfortable headphone in that list.

The Sennheiser HD280 Pro and the new Sennheiser HD215 do low bass really well, but they don't have a balloon in the mid-bass that some people find desirable so they can sound 'flat'. Out of all those listed, the HD280 would in my experience offer the best sound quality, with the MDR-7506 a close second. The 7506 also has less isolation than the HD280. But if you take portability (or carryability) into account, the MDR-7506 would edge ahead.

If you're looking for a noticeable improvement from the MDR-V300 while retaining the same sort of capability, you don't actually have to spend much. Just move away from Sony and go with the Sennheiser PX200. It's not a great headphone, but it is definitely a lot less terrible than the V300. It's isolated to a degree, doesn't leak and folds up nicely.

The HD212 Pro could be a good half-way solution. In comparison to the 7506 and the HD280, it's rough sounding but it does have a large bass which is reasonably extended. If you like bass, I don't think you'll feel you're wasting money with the 212.