• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Headphone problem with Kenwood amp

Member 762073

Novice Member
I was hoping someone could help me with this. Recently started having problem using my headphones, there is sound only on one side of the phones, if I fiddle about with the jack I can make the sound come out of the other side but at the cost of the sound at the first side. If I push the jack down (quite forcibly) the sound is perfect on both sides. Strikes me that a connection is not being made.

Is there a way I can make that connection again? Can I clean the inside (if indeed it is a dirt problem) and if so with what? Do I have to replace the socket? Can these things be replaced?

I no longer have speakers as the headphones have up to now been adequate for my listening needs and it stopped my wife's constant complaining.

Last edited:

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Is there a way I can make that connection again? Can I clean the inside (if indeed it is a dirt problem) and if so with what? Do I have to replace the socket? Can these things be replaced?
If it's dirt then you can try cleaning with some tightly rolled, fine grit emery cloth. Just push it in & out a few times at different angles. But if the contacts are bent you'll have to take the case off & see if they're accessible. Some are open like this.
Jack 1.jpg

With these you can gently bend the contacts back towards the centre. But others are closes with no access & may be soldered directly to a PCB. In this case it could be the connections there have gone "dry" & need resoldering. Worst case they can be replaced but you may have a challenge finding a direct replacement for one soldered to a board. But try cleaning first & see what happens.

Member 762073

Novice Member
Great, thanks. I'll try the emery cloth later and let you know if it works. It probably does need soldering though, it's very nearly 20 years old (40th birthday present and I'll be 60 in four months so I can narrow it down quite well) and the back has never been off, there's probably all sorts of problems in there.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I presume you've tried your headphones on another piece of equipment just to rule out a bad connection in the headphone plug rather than the Kenwood socket?

dannnielll

Prominent Member
I was hoping someone could help me with this. Recently started having problem using my headphones, there is sound only on one side of the phones, if I fiddle about with the jack I can make the sound come out of the other side but at the cost of the sound at the first side. If I push the jack down (quite forcibly) the sound is perfect on both sides. Strikes me that a connection is not being made.

I no longer have speakers as the headphones have up to now been adequate for my listening needs and it stopped my wife's constant complaining.
Your wife might still be complaining, but with headphones, its its a win win situation. .. she can enjoy complaining and you don't have to hear it .
I would not be happy using Emery paper. You could try contact cleaner,or light oil or even a domestic cleaner.. say meths ,vodka or white spirit on an earbud. But those connectors do eventually wear out.and a replacement might be necessary.
Another possibility is that the fault is in the plug of the headphones themselves.

gibbsy

Member 762073

Novice Member
I presume you've tried your headphones on another piece of equipment just to rule out a bad connection in the headphone plug rather than the Kenwood socket?
The headphones I use have a small jack, computer / MP3 player type, that connects to the amp via an adapter. I also use the the same adapter to connect the amp to my computer for recording my vinyl collection and converting it to MP3. So two different cables are used and they have both started doing the same thing at the same time. Could be coincidence but I doubt it. I have already tried a new adapter.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
For info, your headphone plug is a standard 3.5mm minjack.
Easily tested by plugging into any mobile phone with a headphone socket.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom