Headphone placemenets in a home recording studio

parsonss

Standard Member
Reaction score
OK, I hope there is someone here who can help......

I am creating a home recording studio and need to run cables for headphone placements within the room from auz sends on the mixing desk. The mixing desk in question is the Eurodesk SX4882 and has 6 Aux Send 1/4" unbalanced stereo jacks operating at +4dBu.

The total distance from the back of the desk to the furthest headphone socket in the room is around 10 - 12 metres. There will then be a 3 meter headphone cable plugged into this socket making the total maximum length around 15 metres max. The cables also run in close proximity to other cables.

My initial thought was that I should run the aux send from the desk into an unbalanced/balanced converter and then run xlr cable to each placement where there would then be another balanced/unbalanced converter that the headphones could plug into.

However this solution does not cater for a headphone amp.

I am starting to tie myself up in knots with this. Do I really need a balanced cable between the desk and the headphone placements, Can I run the aux-sends from the desk into a headphone amp and then from the headphone amp convert the cables going to the headphone placements into balanced?

Am I completed on the wrong track?

Any help would be appreciated.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom