Headphone Pairing for Teac HA P50

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by peterjspencer, Dec 15, 2015.

1. peterjspencer

peterjspencer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I listen to s lot of music and hardly watch Tv. It's my main source of entertainment but would not describe myself in any way an audiophile, listening to most of my stuff through only average entry level hard ware. On a complete whim I bought myself a Teac HA P50 in an effort to boost my listening pleasure. What I didn't realise was that my cans aren't really up to the job. I have some Shure SE300 series in ear from about 5 years ago that have hardly any bass and a pair of AKG450 that sound the same to me with or without the amp. I want to get something below £300 if I can that will make the most of the Teac. I also need to go a way to improve my source music, but that's another matter.
    If anybody could offer any starting points for me to research in terms of compatibility, it would be much appreciated. In ear would be preferred for portability. I'm using an iPhone 6s as the music source when moving.

2. peterjspencer

peterjspencer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    So far I have the following on my list
    Shure SE535
    Shure SE425
    Sennheiser iE80
    Sony MDR EX1000
    I think the latter of these may be a bit over kill for my Neanderthal hearing. I'm pretty sure my iPhone/DAC combo will be fine, but maybe my ears will need refining before I can get the most from these.
    How do people go on about trying out IEMs. It's not like you can show up at a retailer and try them on.

3. will f

will f
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the same amp and it's a nice amp. I use it with two different headphones, both of which are improved by the amp:

Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7s: these are very clear, acoustically accurate, and superb sounding headphones for their price (USD $200 on Amazon) but because they're so accurate they tend to be a little bright on a lot of recordings and they show every flaw on the original recording. Bass is rock solid and tight (which is where the Teac amp really makes them shine)

Master and Dynamic MH40s: These cans are built astonishingly well. Just a joy to look at and hold. Acoustically they're rolled off a little between 2 and 5 kHz so they're very easy to listen to without sounding harsh. Unfortunately they're a little over your budget at USD $400 and you have a lot of other choices that probably are more sonically accurate for the same price.

The truth is, any phones will work well with your amp unless they're something exceptionally hard to drive (like a pair of electrostatics or exceptionally power hungry planar magnetic phones)

Take a look at innerfidelity dot org (I think) for their headphone reviews and data sheets. It's a good place to look because they've empirically tested many different phones.

Edit- just realized you're looking at In Ear Phones. sorry, only pair I've owned were a pair of etymotics. They sounded amazing- best sound I've ever heard.

4. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,612
    Attend shows
    Attend member meets
    Find a shop with demo pair
    Find someone local willing to let you try

With iem need to find out if there will be tips available (usually the case at shows). With other scenarios maybe buy your own tip back to bring along.

I would add the RHA T20 to your list

5. peterjspencer

peterjspencer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Thanks for the replys chaps. I have bought a pair of head phones but moved away from iem, at least for now. After trying a few pairs of over ears at my local superfi shop I opted for a pair that sounded great to me and were a reasonable price. They let me sit in their TV room for a good 40 mins testing my amp and their head phone combos. After reading a few reviews as well I went for Senn HD598. They sounded just really nice to me with just the right amount of bass. Not a terribly technical description, but I will learn! I plan on still buying a decent set of IEM but I'm going to enjoy my new Senns first

6. will f

will f
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Congrats! In my experience, Senn makes some fantastic headphones in the $100 price range. Yes, you can still improve the sound if you spend more, but you're in the sweet spot for cost / benefit