Headphone output hum on Sony amp...?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by srhope1989, May 19, 2018.

1. srhope1989

srhope1989
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've an old Sony TA-FE370 integrated amp that I got through Ebay. There is a noticeable hum on the heaphone output, a low noise that sounds like earth-loop hum but I can't hear it through the speakers, nor does it change with the volume control. It's not the end of the world, but does anyone have any ideas as to what causes this and how it might be fixed?

2. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,690
    What is the loading and sensitivity of the 'phones you are using?

3. srhope1989

srhope1989
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have just now listened very closely to my speakers and the same hum is present. I was mistaken. I suspect some problem linked to the transformers.

4. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +760
    Not likely the trafo but much more likely the power supply capacitors. As they dry out their capacity drops and then they blow. Best call would be to open it up now, check the size and ratings and buy replacements . Then soldering them in is a relatively simple job and the amplifer is good for another two decades. Soldering is simple because they are big beasts . Depending on the size soldering may not be necessary as some massive ones use screwed connections. This is one of those jobs best done now rather than later. If the capacitors fail, they can take out the trafo and the power diodes and depending on the design, some power transistor s.

Last edited: May 19, 2018