Headphone Forum

I

ipodstudio

Anyone think a headphone forum might be a cool idea? Lot's of us interested in headphone setups, here, I supect, but I don't see a forum open...;)

Good idea I feel:)
I'm sure NicolasB could contribute quite a lot of info (seems very knowledgable and gave me good advice) but I've not seem him around for a while. I hope all is well.
Wonder if he plumped for the Senn HD650's in the end:D

Good idea form ipodstudio but incase you wanted a dedicated headphone forum site www.head-fi.org is very good, i used it when i was looking for some and it helped greatly.

Well, I don't mind helping. How does one go about opening another forum?

Originally posted by Frankie_D
Good idea form ipodstudio but incase you wanted a dedicated headphone forum site www.head-fi.org is very good, i used it when i was looking for some and it helped greatly.

Frankie-D, I'm on Head-Fi every day:) One of my favourite sites. Wouldn't hurt to have another, though. You find you get different imputs and angles from different forums.

True, and i guess it would help educate the other guys on this forum about headphones, i see you have an iPod mini congrats (they aren't even out over here yet!) I'm sticking to my 15 gigger until they have a higher capacity mini

Originally posted by Frankie_D
True, and i guess it would help educate the other guys on this forum about headphones, i see you have an iPod mini congrats (they aren't even out over here yet!) I'm sticking to my 15 gigger until they have a higher capacity mini

Just got mine from the US. ebay can be a useful place:D

Do we just have to suggest it here and hope the right people see it, or is there someone we should email to and ask?

Spectre (The person that runs these forums) checks this section daily so he should see it by tonight and will probably make a postive or negative reply then, so you'll just have to wait a few hours.

And my vote also...I'll also ask Spectre and see if he's interested.

BTW...cwick...nice to find someone with a similar H/P setup to mine(TEAC VRDS CD/Perpetual Technologies P1A/P3A/Earmax/Sennheiser).....what I use when I want a bit of peace and quiet.

Originally posted by alexs2
And my vote also...I'll also ask Spectre and see if he's interested.

BTW...cwick...nice to find someone with a similar H/P setup to mine(TEAC VRDS CD/Perpetual Technologies P1A/P3A/Earmax/Sennheiser).....what I use when I want a bit of peace and quiet.

Fantastic. Head-Fi is abit "US-flavour" but I don't mind that. I've lived outside of the UK all my adult life, so I guess I've become abit "US" myself:D ....G'night John boy;)

Originally posted by ipodstudio
Fantastic. Head-Fi is abit "US-flavour" but I don't mind that. I've lived outside of the UK all my adult life, so I guess I've become abit "US" myself:D ....G'night John boy;)

If you're stateside,have you had a look at Headroom's site....certainly one of the most enthusiastic sites on the net,and one of the most useful in general terms.
A pity we don't get any of their gear over here,as I'd certainly be interested.

http://headroom.headphone.com/layout.php

If you're stateside,have you had a look at Headroom's site....certainly one of the most enthusiastic sites on the net,and one of the most useful in general terms.
A pity we don't get any of their gear over here,as I'd certainly be interested.

http://headroom.headphone.com/layout.php

LOL! I have to admit to everything, today?:D OK, I'm also a Headroom fanatic:D In fact, I bought my Sennheiser HD 650s from them, just to say thanks for doing such a great job.
I was thinking about picking up an Headroom Cosmic headamp, but ended up going with the Larocco PPA (see my sig.)

I'm actually not Stateside, anymore. I'm now based in Marbella, S, Spain. I'm British, but moved around 38 countries the last 18 years. Long story...:D

Busy man!.....I've been thinking about changing my Sennheisers to a set of the 650's,but havent got round to it for various reasons.
Very happy with the Earmax,and I think I'd only think of changing to something like a Headroom Max or similar.

Busy man!.....I've been thinking about changing my Sennheisers to a set of the 650's,but havent got round to it for various reasons.
Very happy with the Earmax,and I think I'd only think of changing to something like a Headroom Max or similar.

Well, I got mine from Headroom for 350.00 USD, which translates to £192 Sterling at todays' rate. Couldn't say "no" at that price, and it was nice to support Headroom.

The Earmax is supposed to be a great amp. I got the PPA with Diamond Buffer & AOS DAC from Larocco. Also added a gain switch and a stepped attenuator:devil:

BTW, I bought mine whilst living here in Spain. Headroom ship worldwide and charge about £20 for Fedex shipping. If you're lucky they'll breeze through customs:D

Well, I got mine from Headroom for 350.00 USD, which translates to £192 Sterling at todays' rate. Couldn't say "no" at that price, and it was nice to support Headroom.

The Earmax is supposed to be a great amp. I got the PPA with Diamond Buffer & AOS DAC from Larocco. Also added a gain switch and a stepped attenuator:devil:

Thats a very good price,but I guess you have to factor in duty and P&P to the good old UK....best price I've seen here is about £260.

The Earmax is indeed a very good H/P amp,although I haven't heard your one.
I run the output of my DAC/Upsampler through an Audio Synthesis passive preamp then into the Earmax to avoid input overload,and provide useful attentuation....similar idea to your Larooco,but a very different method of achieving it!
I have also used a Creek remote controlled passive pre,but the Audio Synthesis is so much better it makes it worthwhile having to move occasionally!

Actually, I've changed my mind and would like to retract my vote. I'm already considering HD650's and an X-Can V3 and, quite frankly, having to read about 'phone stuff here and at head-fi will probably melt my plastic. At least most of the kit they talk about is harder to get here.

That's the trouble with these headphone toys - pricey, sure, but next to plasmas, AV amps and video processors, they're pocket money.

Originally posted by cwick
Actually, I've changed my mind and would like to retract my vote. I'm already considering HD650's and an X-Can V3 and, quite frankly, having to read about 'phone stuff here and at head-fi will probably melt my plastic. At least most of the kit they talk about is harder to get here.

That's the trouble with these headphone toys - pricey, sure, but next to plasmas, AV amps and video processors, they're pocket money.

Oh heck, cwick...let the plastic melt:D

Yep...melt that plastic.....as for cheap...not too sure about that....a look at the Headroom Blockhead(!) or the Sennheiser Orpheus might cause you to revise that statement...even my little pile amounts to a couple of £ks worth of HP system(not that my wife knows luckily!)

Yep...melt that plastic.....as for cheap...not too sure about that....a look at the Headroom Blockhead(!) or the Sennheiser Orpheus might cause you to revise that statement...even my little pile amounts to a couple of £ks worth of HP system(not that my wife knows luckily!)

Yep, I think I've now got over $5000 worth in my headphone setup. That might be cheap by some's standards, but not mine:D

Yep, I think I've now got over $5000 in my headphone setup. That might be cheap by some's standards, but not mine:D

If she who must be obeyed had any idea....the cost of my gear would seem cheap by comparison with the price that would be exacted from me!

If she who must be obeyed had any idea....the cost of my gear would seem cheap by comparison with the price that would be exacted from me!

LOL! The Mrs. and I have a pretty good understanding, actually. When looking at each other's toys and relevant price tags, each one of us is allowed to look strangely at the other, even scowl somewhat, but not to actually complain;) We both have our eccentricities:D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom