headphone for gym?

Reaction score
Can anyone advice a headphone for gym for my iphone pls?

buget up to 200 pounds.

no need for mic, as I have a hf2, but it has too little bass and give too much body noise.

perfered to have one that have good bass and no body noise while I am running.

I need a pair of headphone that will gives good solid base while I am running and do not gives any body noise and do not drop out....

any advice?... of couse the cheaper it is, the better it..... gusses I do not need a top headphone as it will be under high risk of damage...... so gusses I should set a lower buget so I won't upset when it get damage after 3 months......

what do people use when they run?

Last edited:
The Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro or Sennheiser IE8 would both work well in a gym. Comply Foam ear tips work well with both of these earphone to help aid retention in the ear and also to provide a good seal.

Another idea is Custom Sleeves with earphones as this blocks noise out completely and they are nearly impossible to pull out. In fact you if you look in next months Runners World magazine you will see a feature including the Sennheiser's and custom sleeves for use in a gym.

I had a pair of UE Superfi 5 Pro.. ended up selling them on ebay about 6 months after I bought them... I felt they lacked clarity and definition, but I suppose thats what you get from ear buds, relying on your canals to enhance bass...

Im hunting for a pair for the gym, not at the same budget though.. I feel the only way to get tru hifi is with closed headphones, but they trying to find some that are discrete enough for out of the house wear is hard work..!!

Id put up with the default iphone headphones, but they just keep falling out of my ears!!!!... looking for neckband or even ear hooks.. but fcant seem to decide on any.. Trouble is buying headphones, you really need to try them before buying them, but with limited sotck in most street hifi shops, its difficult...

DrMekon, there are a lot more to IEMs out there than the UE Superfi.5 Pro and their overblown bass :)

I'd recommend a cheap ÂŁ30 pair. Save the ÂŁ200 headphones for non-gym use. Dare I say the work out is not strenuous enough if you are distinguishing between nuances in the music whilst on the gym floor

lol.. ive no intention of spending that much cash for headphones purely for gym.. I just happened to buy a pair of UE for geveryday use... I was merely jumping in saying that I didnt really rate them..eespecially for the price....

Im lloking at around ÂŁ30-ÂŁ50 for a pair for the gym...

The SoundMAGIC PL30 with some Comply T-400 tips would be very suitable for the gym and are well within budget.

The over ear cabling (similar to the Super.fi 5 Pro) keeps them very secure. Comply Foam tips would help with noise isolation and also with retention in the ear.

I was recently looking at in ears for exactly the same purpose, for use in the gym and general listening at work. I ended up getting the Klipsh S2's (39.99 from my local HMV) reason being is I decided spending over 40 was silly as my ears just wouldn't tell the difference between those and a 200 pair. To be fair first time I put these in I was thinking why'd I spend that much as couldn't tell the difference from my old Sony Ericsson in ears I used with my MP3 player. As time goes on they are worth it but wouldn't waste the money going higher as they're more likely to get damaged in the gym. The klipsh are so comfortable and now I've got a good fit with the medium size buds I'm more then happy with the sound, the bass is good, voices clear and overall what I expected. I'm using it with a HTC HD2 phone so know it would be better if using a dedicated MP3 player but just like having one device for everything. Anyway that's my 2p, hope it helps.

What would be the best normal (not in-ear/isolating type) earphones for gym?

I've seen the PMX70 bright green/orange ones that go around the neck but they look horrible and garish, I just want something black really :) if anything just to look like they aren't there

I think around the neck ones would probably be the most sensible though since earphones fall out easier I know (I lost my mp3 player a while ago and just bought a new ipod shuffle (purely cos of the size, the fans annoy me, and I refuse to wear the white sheep antennae :p))

thanks for any help!

Last edited:
If headphones are not advertised as sport you would have to take it as not strictly guarding against the elements. And sweat

I've got the PMX80. I did a review of them on the forum. Short of it is that mids and highs are OK, but bass is nearly non-existent. I suspect due to the angle of the earbuds in relation to the ears. The in-ear or hook versions of Sennheiser's sport line may fare better as the earbud placement is more traditional. Stayability wise I cannot fault Sennheiser's sport range. I actually like the orange detailing but then not for everyone

I'd actually second the PL30/PL50 recommendation. I've also reviewed them :p

The Sennheiser PX100 are still in my mind the best budget headphone you can buy for ÂŁ30 SQ wise. Cannot comment on their stay-on-ability but my own pair are going 5 years strong

Due to my experience with Sony MX71 (twice), I'd stay away from Sony budgets. They get driver failure without the help of water and sweat(!)

Review links in my profile

I've got a pair of Sennheiser CX 380's for the gym and couldn't be happier. I previously had their ear-hook sport 'phones, and whilst they sounded OK they were useless at blocking out the dire in-house music. These, on the other hand do a great job with the added bonus that they sound fantastic as well; I'm picking up detail that I never thought possible in the gym. I'd even say that my workouts are getting more energetic as I'm getting more into the music. They don't fall out (very rare for me) although I've had to use a large sleeve in one ear and medium in the other, and they're sweat-proof. For ÂŁ35 at Amazon I'd say they're well-worth a punt. Incidentally, I've got a pair of Soundmagic PL50's on order for everyday use, but didn't fancy putting these through gym use.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
thanks good point I didnt think of that possibly happening :eek: guess i need to buy 2 one for inside and one for out

amazon is for mugs tho!

"CX 380" OR "CX380" - Google Product Search

with the non-isolating ones do you two think the neckband PMX80 or ear hook ones OMX80 are better? I haven't tried either only normal ones before
sennheiser-pmx80-sport-II-105x105.jpg

omx80-105x105.jpg

the ear hook ones seem like they would be more comfortable and less likely to fall off than the one that goes around back of neck?

I figure I can always spraypaint over the orange ;D

Last edited:
I've got a pair of Soundmagic PL50's on order for everyday use, but didn't fancy putting these through gym use

I agree, as the PL50 is based on a balanced armature driver, which is much more sensitive to moisture than (the also much cheaper to produce) dynamic drivers.

In my opinion, the SoundMAGIC PL30 is a much better suited for gym use.

you said that before already about pl30, but well... what about non-isolating ones? :S
(my previous post) :( anyone

Last edited:
Koss KSC75?
the ear hook ones seem like they would be more comfortable and less likely to fall off than the one that goes around back of neck?
Might look that way but the neckband version is quite cleverly designed. There is a video of them on Amazon US if you want to look-see

Im guessing everyones different but I use the Sennheiser cx300s which stay in my ears even when flat out on the treatmill and the bass is good on these if not a little overpowering, Im using them wiv a sansa clip.
Obviously only my opinion and Iv never tried any other phones.

We have customers often report that the CX300 falls out when active. It seems the earphone body is a bit big for some peoples ears and doesn't quite seat firmly.

so please anyoneany advice on non-isolating "normal" earphones? the ones that come with ipod are horrible and hurt after wearing a while

Been looking for a pair of IEM's for gym use and after trawling Head-Fi forums and other sources i bought MEElectronics M6. They seem to be highly rated and are excellent for the price, ÂŁ29 shipped to the UK and no custom charges :thumbsup: Been using them for over a month now and i'm well pleased. The clear version looks cool, but thats up to you to decide which colour you prefer.

MEElec.com - Ultimate Sound in Style! Earphones, Media Players, Mobile and Gaming Accessories, and Much More!

Hope this helps...

with the non-isolating ones do you two think the neckband PMX80 or ear hook ones OMX80 are better? I haven't tried either only normal ones before
sennheiser-pmx80-sport-II-105x105.jpg

omx80-105x105.jpg

I figure I can always spraypaint over the orange ;D

I've got the neck band ones (PMX80 I think?). Whether I'm chugging away on a treadmill, or outside doing hill sprints and intervals, I've never had any problems with them coming out of the ears, and once they are on you don't really feel them being there.

The colour might might a bit garish, but I *think* it's luminous to make you visable in the dark when car lights shine against the headphones. I could be wrong though :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom