Question Headphone connection NOT muting TV

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Robert5988, Dec 5, 2018 at 12:04 PM.

1. Robert5988

Robert5988
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use Sennheiser HDR170 wireless headphones to listen to TV while other family members listen simultaneously to the TV speakers.

The last time I bought a TV I found that with some manufacturer's TVs e.g. LG, Samsung, plugging in the headphone to the TV socket muted the TV speakers. This made the TV unsuitable.

I found a model from Sony and Panasonic where this did not happen and TV sound output was adjusted normally without affecting my headphones.

Does anyone know if all current Sony and Panasonic models are the same? and are there any other makes that have this facility - i.e. headphones NOT muting the TV speaker.

2. Matsy

Matsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Is it so hard to just put the volume down to 0?
    I always have my TV in Internal Speaker + Headphone mode so the sound comes out of both of them at the same time (although I use a wired headset). I just put the TV down to 0 when I'm using headphones.

3. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,446
    Yes, most Panasonic and Sony models still have this facility.
    As to the rest of the bigger brands, I've never known LG or Samsung to have it.
    Some of the Turkish Vestel-based budget brands like Alba, Bush, Techwood, Technika etc also allow it but check first. Just look for a headphone volume setting in the TV's sound menu.

4. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +865
    On my LG OLED I can use bluetooth headpnes and tv speakers simultaneously.

5. Robert5988

Robert5988
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you have not understood the issue!

I want to use my wireless headphones - with my settings for volume etc. My family want to listen to the same programme from the internal TV speakers.

This isn't possible with many TVs as plugging in headphones to the TV headphone socket mutes the internal TV speakers.