Headphone cables

sceptic

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone tried headphone cables?
The ZuMobius and Russ Andrews cables cost about £150 and I wondered if this is another example of snake oil.
Or do they really produce massive inprovements over the stock cables?

I have just bought the cardas cable from headroom for $170 including shipping which works out at £95. I hope I won't get clobbered for vat and duty:(
The cable has had good write ups and some people here have reported beneficial results. I should hopefully get mine next week some time. see here:-

http://headroom.headphone.com/layout.php?topicID=3&subTopicID=31

review here:-

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue6/cardas.htm

and here:-

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7146

Originally posted by Hawklord
I have just bought the cardas cable from headroom for $170 including shipping which works out at £95. I hope I won't get clobbered for vat and duty:(
The cable has had good write ups and some people here have reported beneficial results. I should hopefully get mine next week some time. see here:-
Let us know what you think when you've had a chance to listen.
Good luck.

I've also just got the Cardas v2 for my Senn HD 650s. The Zu should also be a great cable but with different characteristics than the Cardas.

Most people swear the aftermarket cables make quite a big difference to the headphones. To me, that says the stock cables are rubbish. On headfi, it seems generally accepted that the HD580/590/600/650 will not reach their potential without one of these aftermarket cable. Yet another reason why I prefer Sony's MDR-CD3000.

Originally posted by ipodstudio
but who says your CD3000s wouldn't benifit from a custom cable?:devil:

They might, but I'd think Sony put on a half decent cable in the first place, and I cant solder, so thats not gonna happen :p

i notice lots of people here are asking about custom cables and it seems theres a fair few people on here who have also bought them but there also seems to be a general lack of response as to whether they are worthwhile.

I mean buying a £60 cable for £100 pair of cans seems a bit ott to me but then i havent heard anything except the stock one of my senns hd570s.

either anyone whos bought the cable is hiding in shame for being such a numpty and thinking a cable would be worth the cost or are in such ecstatic glee that they cannot physically move and are paralysed to the floor... :/

from other accounts it would be the latter but id like to hear it from someone i at least 'know' in the sense that they are part of the community here (yes that does sound weird doesnt it :/)

I use meier-audio cable for my HD600.
Best 20 odd quid or so ive ever spent on an upgrade.

I'm interested in trying a cable replacement for my 590s but not in the £100+ region.

Don't mind a bit of diy so can anyone point out where to get the cable & more importantly the Sennheiser connectors.

I presume from what I've read that the 590 cable is easily changed!

One of the reviews I read had the reviewer using Canare Starquad, all I can find is microphone cable.

Either diy or are there cheaper upgrades for those of us with too much earwax who wouldn't appreciate the quality cables?

Originally posted by pendulum
I use meier-audio cable for my HD600.
Best 20 odd quid or so ive ever spent on an upgrade.
In that case I'm tempted to give them a go.
Can you post a link to the site that supplied them?
Thanks

Originally posted by cwick
meier-audio link.

Quite interested in giving this a try ... but the order process looks a bit onerous.
It does look a bit complicated doesn't it.
Perhaps someone will suggest a more user-friendly supplier.

I have a cardas cable, it does make a small but noticable improvement. However having a good headphone amp is far more important, so that is what you should spend your money on first.

Hello.

The ordering process with meier-audio does seem complicated, but its not so bad. I mailed Jan meier with my order, he swiftly replied with total cost (i ordered hd600 cable,some leads and porta corda 2 kit). To pay via paypal i had to mail his partner for the payapl addy.
Sounds time consuming - but i payed for the items on a sunday afternoon and received them from Germany tuesday morning ! :) :)
The service was great imo as i dealt with Jan Meier himself, and he knocked a lot off price as i ordered a few items,and was very helpful.
Only thing i regretted was not ordering 2 headphone cables as i have a faulty set of hd565s.
The replacement cable is oustanding vfm imo - it seemed to improve so much - soundstage,tighter bass,clearer treble.

.....why do you suppose manufacturers knowingly supply headphones with cables that restrict the performance, if indeed they do. Given that headphones will be auditioned against others, invariably with standard cable, why would they knowingly reduce the chances of a sale for the sake of a bit of cable?

I made a 10 meter extension for mine, using good quality microphone wire, and I can't tell the difference whether I'm listening with or without the extension.

just askin :devil: :rolleyes:

Croc

Originally posted by Crocodile JD
.....why do you suppose manufacturers knowingly supply headphones with cables that restrict the performance, if indeed they do. Given that headphones will be auditioned against others, invariably with standard cable, why would they knowingly reduce the chances of a sale for the sake of a bit of cable?

I made a 10 meter extension for mine, using good quality microphone wire, and I can't tell the difference whether I'm listening with or without the extension.
Croc
I can only assume that they supply cheap cable to keep the price down. It seems that a "decent" cable can cost from £40 to £150.

It's interesting that you can't tell the difference when using an extension. I shudder to think how much money I've spent on upgraded speaker cables, interconnects and scarts. I have serious doubts whether any of them have made much difference. Even so, here I am wanting to be convinced that an upgraded headphone cable will make a worthwhile improvement. I'm even trying to justify to myself that, even if it's no better than the stock cable, I'll have a spare in case of emergencies.

I can only assume that they supply cheap cable to keep the price down. It seems that a "decent" cable can cost from £40 to £150.
It can cost us £40 to £150 it doesn't cost anything like that in materials especially when buying in bulk as a manufacturer does. It's only when it is neatly packaged for the consumer that it esculates so dramatically. Personally I don't think the manufacturers would spoil the ship for a ha'pen'th of tar (cable) :lesson:

Cheers

Croc

Personally I don't think the manufacturers would spoil the ship for a ha'pen'th of tar (cable) :lesson:
Cheers
Croc

I tend to agree.
But if the supplied cables do the job why do so many people replace them? :confused:

...because we are all hifi nuts....... and someone who was loaded enough to spend £100 on a bit of cable said it made a difference (well they ain't gonna say they wasted a 100 notes, human nature) so now others fork out just in case it really does make a difference and then they say it did (well they ain't gonna say they wasted a 100 notes, human nature) and so on...... we will do anything within reason to try and garantee the best sound. Once you've spent so much, what is a few more quid spent just in case.

Croc

...because we are all hifi nuts....... and someone who was loaded enough to spend £100 on a bit of cable said it made a difference (well they ain't gonna say they wasted a 100 notes, human nature) so now others fork out just in case it really does make a difference and then they say it did (well they ain't gonna say they wasted a 100 notes, human nature) and so on...... we will do anything within reason to try and garantee the best sound. Once you've spent so much, what is a few more quid spent just in case.

Croc

One of the reasons I've used Kimber as my first choice for some years now....60 day trial,and send it back if you don't like it or can't hear the difference.

The Kimber H/P lead will be on order shortly....!

Seriously though,savings are made on cheaper or poorer quality cables,and thus the aftermarket exists to fill the gap.

Originally posted by alexs2
Seriously though,savings are made on cheaper or poorer quality cables,and thus the aftermarket exists to fill the gap.
I'm not disputing what you say but the logic still doesn't add up.
Sennheiser, for example, produce headphones in a price range of approximately £20 to £300. I can understand using cheap components on a £20 headphone but surely, the HD650, at £300, would be the best headphone they can produce at that price. Yet people are still prepared to pay an additional £50 or more for a cable on an already expensive product.
If I wanted to buy the best headphone on the market I wouldn't want to pay for it knowing that I would have to replace one of the components.
As I said, it doesn't make sense to me. :confused:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom