1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

Headphone bass buzz...

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Sasso, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey,

I have a small problem with my SONY MDRQ55SLN headphones.

When I play a song that has a reasonably strong bass note my left ear speaker makes a small buzzing noise. The right speaker doesn't do it at all, the bass is fairly strong and clean, except the buzz in the left ear, especially when the volume is turned up. It doesn't happen to all songs but the very bassy ones. It also happened on my sony MD player.

I took the soft cover off and noticed a thin plastic material inside under the holes but above everything else, when i prodded it with something it made the same crackling noise, im pretty sure, but my right headphone has the same plastic and doesn't have a buzz.

Are they broken? Has anyone had this problem before? I can't take off the hard plastic cover under the soft material, it looks like it has an arrow pointing anti clockwise but i tried hard to twist but nothing happened. Does anyone know how to open it up so i can see if i can take off the soft plastic.

Also spec/experience wise (available on the link above), are they good headphones. Im getting bored with my HD5, i need something new, im having a craving for bass, and these headphones dont sit on your ears that well, what do you suggest, does in ear, (like sony ex 71/81) or open air (like these) sound better? Are the in ear phones better for you hearing, (less damaging?).

any responses much appreciated. :)

Another thing, I played a track a friend gave me that is apparently a 'bass test' on my HD5, its like a techno dance type song, some people might have it too, it has REALLY low bass notes and sometimes they are continuous and change from a medium bass note to a lower bass note and back up. Anyway, I turned up the volume on my HD5 right up and to my displeasure the sound was very distorted, especially the voices, you could hear the speaker vibrating alot, but I think its normal because my stereo does it too, especially this song. I am very disappointed at this, my Sony MiniDisk can play very good, clean music even at that volume level and it has even MORE bass. The HD5 at full volume actually sounds like an Ipod does at normal volume (distorted and crappy).
    Any way to get around this? Get new phones? special EQ settings? The eq is set on digital sound presets with bass on full and treble on 0 or 1. Or is that all i should have expected from a $480 high technologic, electrical device made by sony? MiniDisks cost around $700 and are heaps better but dont hold enough songs.

thanks again

2. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi fella

Wow! A lot to take in, there! Not sure I fully understand the deal with the plastic inside your cans, but I know I've experienced that reverb thing (also left ear, oddly) on some tracks with very deep bass. But that was on an old pair of Sonys - forget which, now - and I think I'd knackered them, anyway.

Your EQ may have a little to do with it, but there are others more technically minded than me who'll doubtless give you a fuller explanation. Personally, I've experienced no problems at all with my £15 Sony MDR-J20s and my HD5's EQ in Digital Sound Presets with both bass and treble set at +3db. It's the sweetest sound I've heard; certainly more, let's say, realistic to my ears than my Zen Touch could manage, with its vaguely warmer acoustic.

But hey, you'll know by now I'm no expert!

3. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, and man! Those phones you've got do NOT look comfy! Are they? I'd go with the in-ear 'H' types (which the J20s are) - gets right in there and packs more of a punch at both the top and bottom end. The 'on-ear' types like yours just don't cut it for me when on the move, though they're okay for home use, I find.

4. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Shadow,

Its hard to explain.

ok the inside of the phones have the usual soft black material covering the speaker to make it more comfortable. I took that off, underneath is the plastic case, which on mine is hard black plastic with round holes in it which the sound comes out of. Underneath that you can see all the wires and stuff, but before the wires there is this clear plastic covering, i presume, the speaker. If i blow onto the speaker it crackles as if the plastic is pushed down, then if i blow in the bass duct it crackles and moves back up, if i prod it with a pen or something it also russles like a plastic bag. Im only guessing but it sounds like this is whats rattling when the bass hits. But like i was saying the right speaker has the same thing but no rattling. I cant take them back, and I would rather be able to take it apart and take out the plastic, but i can't seem to work out how.

5. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They're not actually that bad, comfort wise. However the spring isnt strong enough and they keep falling out of place. You can't tilt your head sideways or backward, or they fall away from your ear, usually dislodging and you have to re-put them on. Something i discovered too late.
    The reason i got them is because i like to listen to music in bed, so the street style phones dont work when your head is on a pillow, the normal strap above the head ones are OK but they wreck your hair.

I never liked normal in ear phones like the kit ones because they are uncomfortable for me and keep falling out. The canal ones look good though. Im tossing up between the open air ones or in ear ones.
    Thats why I wanted to know whats better for your ears, safety wise, because im getting sore ears lately, and i read somewhere that the in ear ones are better for your hearing? is that right?

This time i want to test the phones before i buy them so i know that they actually sound better than the ones ive got. Ill prob bring my HD5 to the shop and listen to some, but i want to know which ones to ask for, so im not totally clueless when i get there.

SO far I want to try out the SOny ex81s and maybe your ones. And i want to see if senheizer or however you spell it are any better. Im not sure how much i want to spend or if i can order from OS since its almost half the price. Probably $100AUD is my limit, ummm i think its around 40 pounds, i cant do that symbol easily so ill just write pound.