Headphone Amps

I

ipodstudio

How many of you are using headphone amps, here. I've got a Larocco PPA with Diamond Buffers, AOS DAC, Gain Switch & Stepped Attenuator being built for me in the US, as we speak.

You can find the Larocco site here

Here's a pic:
PPAblackandbrush.jpg

The Pocket Reference is supposed to be a great amp, too, for those that need portability:

LaRocco-Pocket-Reference-sm.jpg

Not sure, to be honest, still waiting for mine, but could it be a locking device?

That Earmax Pro is a beautiful looking amp. Real "eye candy" as they say in the US:D

Attachments

• solo4.jpg
    solo4.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 222
Nice amp you got there ipodstudio, I was after a PPA myself, but I couldnt be bothered to wait several months, which seemed to be the case. At one point I was also going to go for the new 2004 Solo, but the waiting time for that is ridiculous as well.

In the end, I plumped for the little Perreaux SXH1 to replace my X-Can v3, and am delighted with my choice.

perreaux_sxh1.jpg

Yep, the wait's been pretty agonising, I must say, but it's soon over, now:D
I'm having the amp done in an all brushed silver casing...should be nice:devil:

That funny looking socket is a 'premium' headphone socket, I suspect made by Neutrik. It works VERY well.

Originally posted by ipodstudio
The Pocket Reference is supposed to be a great amp, too, for those that need portability:

LaRocco-Pocket-Reference-sm.jpg

Any Idea How much for a portable? Had a look on the site and no prices so as the old adage goes I don’t think I can afford one but would be interested to know.

headmaster_front.jpg

Sugden Headmaster :smashin:

I'm using a Graham Slee "Solo" mk II at the moment, but will shortly be upgrading to the new model (the mk IV).

I use an MF Xcan V2 with mullard valves at my desk at work along with an second hand Arcam CD player or the company music server. ( best use I've ever heard of for what was originally a $6 000 000 SGI render engine!)

I doubt I'll be upgarding the amp in the near future in fact I've had to downgrade my HD600s to beyerdynamic DT250s as the sennys were to leaky in an office enviroment.

I wouldn't mind a decent 2 source switcher though. I remember seeing one for a ridiculous amount on one of the headphone sites. Anyone know of a decent switcher or suggest some tips to build one?

Mr D

I seem to remember promising you some 'different' valves for your amp over a beer. Apologies for not doing this. PM me your address and I will get a set of 'premiums' off to you to try :)

How much are those amps at the top of the thread? They look nice. :)

Finally got my Slee Solo with the latest 2004 mods. I'm using it with a Sennheisser HD 600.
I'm undecided about ugrading the Senn cable and would be interested to see some views on this.
Cheers

Originally posted by sceptic
Finally got my Slee Solo with the latest 2004 mods. I'm using it with a Sennheisser HD 600.
I'm undecided about ugrading the Senn cable and would be interested to see some views on this.
Cheers

Hi
I have the solo MKIII and was wandering if you bought the MKIV or had the MKIII upgraded. If you had it upgraded what are the major difference and do you feel it was a worthwhile one? How much did it cost and what was the leadtime involved getting the work done?
I'm still waiting delivery on my cable upgrade (cardas) for my HD600's I'll post my findings when it finally materialises but I'm told there is about a 200Hr burn in period.

:cool:

Originally posted by Hawklord
Hi
I have the solo MKIII and was wandering if you bought the MKIV or had the MKIII upgraded. If you had it upgraded what are the major difference and do you feel it was a worthwhile one? How much did it cost and what was the leadtime involved getting the work done?
I'm still waiting delivery on my cable upgrade (cardas) for my HD600's I'll post my findings when it finally materialises but I'm told there is about a 200Hr burn in period.

:cool:
I originally had the 2004 Solo. There were only a handful in existence. Graham Slee has now modified it to include the new op-amp. Apart from the case it is now identical to the new look version about to be launched.
I've been running in the Solo for the past few days. I'm not very good at reviews but will report back shortly after having a listening test. All I can say at the moment is that the sound is excellent.
It's the only headphone amp I've heard so my only comparison is with the headpone sockets on my stereo amp, AV amp and CD player.
I don't know if Graham is upgrading MKIIIs.
As for whether it's been worthwhile I have to say that there may have been better ways to spend £400 to improve my system.
The new look model will cost £449 which seems a lot of money to me.
I'll be interested to see what you make of the Cardas cable although I was thinking of trying the Meier cable which is a lot cheaper I believe.
Cheers
:)

Has anyone got/heard the Williams Hart Chiarra-Andante PSU combination?

. All I can say at the moment is that the sound is excellent.
As for whether it's been worthwhile I have to say that there may have been better ways to spend £400 to improve my system.

Bear with it if it's anything like my MKIII I wasn't too impressed with it to start with. It did sound better than the h/p outs on my other kit but not worth the £400 I paid for it, but, after a couple of weeks of constant use the amp turned into a completely different animal. It seems it takes a while to run in before it reaches it's best.
Now it puts my conventional system to shame for a fraction of the price. That is one of the reasons for going for a Cardas upgrade cable to try and eek out as much performance from it that I can. If Graham Slee is offering an upgrade from MKIII to the newest revision (I have just emailed him) then I'd be very tempted. If the upgrade gives subsantial improvements over the MKIII and isn't too costly then I'll probably go for it.
Now that I've upgraded my music source (Naim CD5i) too it breaths a whole new life in to my cd collection :)

Originally posted by Hawklord
Bear with it if it's anything like my MKIII I wasn't too impressed with it to start with. It did sound better than the h/p outs on my other kit but not worth the £400 I paid for it, but, after a couple of weeks of constant use the amp turned into a completely different animal. It seems it takes a while to run in before it reaches it's best.
:)
Yeah, I'm keeping it running constantly and will try to do a review after a few weeks.
I'm hoping for the dramatic improvement you describe. It sounds great but not, as you found, worth £400 at the moment.
Good luck with your ugrade.

:smashin:

A fair number of amps,headphone amps included do take a while to reach their best,although perhaps surprisingly for a tube amp,the Earmax does sound good from cold.
Also,it seems to stack up well against some of the US opposition from the reviews on Head-Fi,where it comes out well against similarly priced Headroom amps.
My order for the Kimber headphone cable goes in tomorrow.

Originally posted by alexs2
My order fo/r the Kimber headphone cable goes in tomorrow.
Is it the Russ Andrews cable at £160? Again, I'll be very interested to hear your views when you've tested it.
Cheers

Is it the Russ Andrews cable at £160? Again, I'll be very interested to hear your views when you've tested it.
Cheers

It is....and on the 60 day trial obviously at that price!...if it doesnt match up then probably the Cardas instead.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom