1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headphone amps - gimmicks or essentials?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by gargoyle, Jul 16, 2004.

1. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I'v been using headphones since the early eighties and have always settled for a maximum budget of around £100 and thus far have enjoyed myself enormously.
    Whilst checking out an headphone forum, I came across a section dealing with headphone amplifiers and was amazed at the variety (& price!) of some of these units - does the use of such a unit offer significant improvement over conventional means of using headphones? Can a decent one be bought for around £100-£150? would I have to buy a more discriminating pair of headphones to make the most of these?

2. sceptic

sceptic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Speaking as an owner I would be very careful before spending on a headphone amp.
    Of all the pieces of AV kit I have it is the one thing on which I feel that I have spent far too much.
    The usual advice about auditioning tends not apply as it's difficult to find them in normal retail outlets.
    Not much help I'm afraid. :blush:

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I also have one....I think a lot of what sceptic says is right,as it's very easy to spend a lot on one,but I also regard every penny spent on the Earmax and all the vintage tubes I've bought for it as money well spent.

The quality gain if you do any serious amount of headphone listening is well worth it,but do try as many as possible before even making the decision to buy one,let alone which one.

At the £100 mark,there are secondhand X-Cans to be had,and also the Creek can be found around that price level,as well as a few kits if you enjoy that sort of thing.
    The really good ones are somewhat more expensive,and I'm sure you've seen some examples on the net.....try a few like the Creek,MF XCans and then one of the upper range....Slee,Sugden or Earmax with a good source,and use your own 'phones...

4. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    I've heard / owned most of the cheap headphone amps, and only one of them is worth the money and thats the Rega Ear. Its just so groovy baby! :D

The other amps, are crap, quite honestly. The Rega Ear even compares well with the Corda's and Perreaux I've owned (as in, I like it better than those) and it costs less than half as much.