Headphone amp with variable Preout?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by eviljohn2, Aug 5, 2006.

1. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I've already got a portable BK HPA1 headphone amp for my Senn HD570 cans but I'm interested in upgrading my overall computer sound system.

Basically, I've got my eye on some active monitor speakers but would still like the flexibility of the headphones. Are there any headphone amps around at an affordable price with variable gain on a line level output? The Pro-Ject Headbox SE and Rega Ear apparently have link outputs, are these controlled by the main volume pot? Or are there any other options around?

Cheers
    John

2. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Headphone amps with 'link outs' are just passthroughs of the input line out signal.

I have the same need as you on one of my computer rigs and use a Crane Song Avocet going out to my powered monitors... but I'm presuming anything like this is not realistic for your proposed budget.

Best bet if you're looking for a one-box solution at a low price is a used preamp with a headphone socket. Not that many around, but doable. Or cheaper still buy an audio switch and connect the headphone amp / powered monitors to the outputs and your computer to the input. If new, Taiwan-based Firestone Audio apparently makes the 250 quid-ish 'Little Country' which is not on their site, which is a tube preamp/headphone amp. Shoot them an email and you should be able to find out whether it's available.

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    That Avocet looks like a great piece of kit with all the functionality I need but as you say, a bit pricey for me at the moment. ;)

I'll look into those other ones though. :)

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208