1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headphone Amp Q's

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by KieranDA, Nov 2, 2004.

1. KieranDA

KieranDA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a pair of Sony MDR-V700 which I love powered off my JVC-MD70R (crap system I know). I also want to use these headphones at work to listen to my mp3 player. Obviously an mp3 player doesn't give out nearly enough power so I need some sort of amp. Ideally it should be mains powered and take atleast 2 selectable inputs so I can switch between my mp3 player and the XBox development kit. I don't really know anything in this area so any advice is greatly appreciated. If I end up getting a 'normal' amp (rather than a headphone amp) I would like it to be quite small so it can fit on my desk.

I listen mainly to dance and trance if that helps at all. My budget would be upto £100 (English pounds)

Thanks in advance
    Kieran

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    The Creek and earlier versions of the Xcans can be found around the £100 mark,and it may also be worth looking at something like the Headroom Bithead,which accepts a USB input,if that's of use to you.

3. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Players like the iPod (in the UK, with iMod... the 'de-euro mod') do give out enough power to power efficient low-impedance phones like the V700.

If you want to go amped, I'd suggest Jon of JMTAUDIO (www.jmtaudio.com). He offers the PIMETA (Portable Headphone Amp) which starts at $150. That plus Global Priority shipping should stay around your budget. There's probably no need to take it beyond stock spec, but listen to what options he has to offer.

4. KieranDA

KieranDA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. As you said, for my headphones, I dont really need a dedicated headphone amp. All I really need is some reliable power and the ability to switch inputs (I have since thought that I need atleast 3). This has lead me to the conclusion that I should go for a normal 2 channel audio amp. This will also allow me to connect speakers if I feel the need in the future. I have just been looking at the Denon PMA255 which looks like it would do the job well. This is by no means a final decision as that is the first one I have looked at. Ideally I would like it to be smaller than the Denon though. Also, the main criteria is that it has a good headphone-out.

Any suggestions? I'm sorry this seems to be in the wrong forum now, feel free to move this mods.

5. jcchjeep

jcchjeep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    were can the creeks be found for 100quid?

6. coliam

coliam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'd be surprised if you can find a cheap integrated amp with a decent headphone out ...........

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Please bear in mind that you've resurrected a 4 year old thread.

Prices were slightly different.