1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headphone amp for dvd advice please?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by kbfern, Aug 20, 2005.

1. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,349
    I have a dvd player in the bedroom hooked up to a tv and want to be able to listen through headphones ocassionally but the dvd player has no headphone socket.

I know a headphone amp will let me do this but the cheapest mains units seem to be around £80-£100 and don't want to spend anything like this as it will probably won't get used more than once or twice a week.

Is there an alternative that I can get for £20 or so?I have seen these c-moy amps, are they any good and they don't seem to have phono input which I need to connect to the dvd player.

Can anybody sugest anything?

2. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    If you don't want to chance DIY, get something like a Behringer UB502 mixer. Because it has a headphone monitor socket, it'll act as a headphone amp. A stereo phono-to-unbalanced jack cable (e.g. Bandridge AL475) and you're sorted. Even retail is £31. Amp will be slightly fuzzier than a good CMOY, but you'll get a retail warranty and a 2-band EQ.

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    There's the new BK headphone amp which is based on the CMoy design for just £29.99. I've already had about 20 hours use out of my first battery.

You could connect any of these portable models to your stereo RCA outputs using a 2RCA -> 3.5mm lead. :)

Sorry to sound like a newbie with the best thing ever but I'm really impressed by it. :blush:

4. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,349
    Thanks John

I did take a look at the BK site and wondered if the HPA1 would be any good for the job.How does the quality of the sound compare to using the headphone output on a a/v receiver? not that I am thinking of using a receiver just want to know if its as good or better.

How long do they take to deliver after ordering and do they charge shipping on top of £29.95

Cheers

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I havn't done an awful lot of testing with my receiver HP output but there wasn't an enormous difference there TBH. Mine's a Marantz SR7400 if that's any help.

It's a significant improvement over the outputs on my MD player, bedroom mini-system and TV which can't really drive my Senn HD570s. I havn't found a big difference when using it with my MD players supplied in-ear phones.

According to the website shipping is £8 and they're usually quick to ship. It is a new product though so can't be sure about their stock. :)

6. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,349
    Thanks for the advice,at nearley £40 delivered its really more than I want to pay for a solution to drive a pair of headphones an hour or so a week.

I have a spare Denon 3600 amp (120v US model) that i could use if I buy a step down transformer to bring it back into service.

7. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could you post a link to the website evil John?

8. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    That looks great :) but £8 shipping :(

10. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Even if you think of it as £38 with free P&P it seems like a bargain to my ears. Better than the price comparable homebrew eBay options and better than most people can concoct with a soldering iron and some protoboard. :)

11. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Hmmmmm not sure I am convinced ;)

12. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Not to worry, it's my first headamp and has really made a difference to my HD570s so it's the best thing ever to me. :D

Having said that it is a very well considered design and I've been studying it for a week or so now. :)

13. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    any links, I would like to have another look at this (having just finished another headphone amp and bought four new pair of phones this month :))

14. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,349
    Well I found a second hand headphone amp off one of the members on the forum.Its a c-moy design in a hammond aluminium case with rca imputs and 1/4" jack, battery powered.

Cost me £35 delivered and I am pleased with the performance it is delivering.It is able to drive my phones (Sony MDR-V6) to incredibly high volume levels.Only slight problem the Sony's are fairly bright sounding and at high volume the highs are maybe a little to bright.

Looks like I may be spending some more dosh soon on another pair of phones with a more laid back high end.

15. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Only really the one that I posted earlier in the thread. If you've got any specific questions I could give them a go though. Or get in touch with the guys at BK directly.

Glad you're happy with your kbfern, I was really surprised at just how good the Cmoy is even though it's supposedly only an entry-level audiophile design. :)

16. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0