1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headphone amp advice please!

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Inotrope, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Inotrope

Inotrope

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I'm a headphone amp newbie, and this post has been prompted by my latest upgrade - a Tag Mclaren Digital Pre-amp (DPA32R 192/24), which doesn't have a headphoen socket.

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD-600s, which I rather like, and I'd like to keep the TAG sound, essentially "transparent"; I'm not too much of a bass head - prefering a clear midrange and a pin-sharp treble ("quality not quatity).

Give the quality of the Tag DAC in the DPA, and the fact that my Tag Transport syncs its clock to the DPA32R (to further reduce jitter) I guess a straight forward headphone amp, taking signal from the tape loops would be in order?

Does anyone have any suggestions or sources of further infomation; as I must proclaim my ignorace!

Thanks mark

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Hi mark.....for a start,have good look around here,and also the following

www.ipodstudio.com
    www.head-fi.org

Take a good look,and get an idea for prices etc first.....than we can give all give an idea of our favourites in each price range.

My own amp is an Earmax.....works well with Sennheisers and isnt too soft or valvey at all...but you really need an idea of price brackets first.

3. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    I'd suggest a Headamp Gilmore Lite, its probably the finest solid state amp around for the money. They are about £160ish without the dedicated PSU or about £260 with it.

4. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Mark, it would help if we had at least some kind of idea what sort of budget level you have in mind. There are headphones that are a good buy at £100 and others that are a good buy at £400-£500, or indeed even £1000+.

There's not much point in our recommending something costing £500 if your budget is £100, or vice versa.

5. ipodstudio

ipodstudio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hi Mark!

You'll get lots of suggestions, I'm sure, but my old setup was very much as you describe except I used an Arcam FMJ CD33t with HD650s. You can read about that setup HERE and HERE. The Full Monty amp which I currently use is designed and made by Larocco Audio and I chose it for the very reasons your mention.
    That said, Larocco is now releasing a brand new design called the HEADCODE which is said to be a very major improvement over their existing amps. It's also on half price at present during a group buy period.

There are two useful headphone amp galleries (one standard and one portable) HERE and HERE which contain over 750 images plus info regarding all the different headphone amps in existence. There's also another gallery there with pics of members amps. That should at least give you an idea of what's available.

Good luck!!