Headphone advice please

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by kokoshka, Dec 19, 2006.

1. kokoshka

kokoshka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I was very happy with my two sets of 'phones', big, meaty, traditional Sennheiser HD 580's for through the amp listening, and Shure EC2's for out and about listening (iPod, Minidisk and personal CD player). I no longer have my amp, having moved over to active speakers, and my portables are a little feeble in output to drive the 580's. I would like a pair of fairly small, fairly portable, efficient (easy to drive) headphones, not in-ear. The Shures are good sounding, but I find them quite uncomfortable to wear for very long, even with the (and let's be honest, disgusting looking) foamy earplugs. Any feedback would be gratefully received. I'd be happy to spend £50, give or take.

2. saguy

saguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I started a similar post in the headphone section and it may be of some help. I wish to replace my in-ear headphones for comfort reasons without spending too much. Over a year ago I went on a psychotic headphone spending spree. In the space of 2 months I ended up with Sennheiser HD590'S, HD280 Pro, HD 600's, Grado SR325's and a headphone amp. Absolutely bonkers, so this time round I have a max £20 budget.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=442693

3. FalkirkBairn

FalkirkBairn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't really help with your request but I notice that you are satisfied with your Shure E2c 'phones.

I bought some the other day for my mp3 player but I've found the sound to be terrible with them: really tinny in the strings (I mostly listen to orchestral music). I've tried all the 3 different types of buds supplied as well as the 3 different sizes, followed the tutorials on their site to make sure that I am fitting them properly, etc.

But I still find them to be very poor. Disappointing after all the rave reviews I read before I bought them.

4. KJ Palmer

KJ Palmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
  5. kokoshka

kokoshka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for all that. In truth, I actually tend to dislike the ec2 sound myself, I've probably been a little too influenced by the reviews and by the presence of bass in an in-ear phone, not that I'm a bass heavy fan, but it's good to hear it if it's meant to be there. Since my original post, I've been reading reviews of the Sennheiser PX 100's and 200's, and from what I've read, I feel that they might indeed be right for me, but which one? The open 100's are generally liked for their bass, mid and treble, as are the closed 200's, but only if a good seal can be acheived, without the seal, bass is lacking. But ambient noise is reduced with the 200's it seems, so I might try those. Oh, and Merry Christmas!

6. kokoshka

kokoshka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Afterthought...I've never considered a headphone amp before, I don't know much about them. Would one allow me to listen to my iPod or portable CD player through my 580's? How are they powered? What's a good one? Thankyou.

7. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I have the PX200's and really rate them. They cut out ambient noise really well and let you listen without p*****g everyone else off around you. Just wish everybody else used them:rolleyes:

8. djmetsandy

djmetsandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    to be honest i like my JVC HA-E200...cheap (£10 in comet), reliable (still work a year later)...and they are not in-ear.

[​IMG]

9. chevvies

chevvies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I use AKG K81 DJ with my Shuffle and they are truly fab!

10. DorKnight

DorKnight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Take a look at the Koss KSC75 or the Koss Porta Pro.

11. kevinyahear

kevinyahear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sharkoon X-active