Headphone advice please

Fiesta Red

Just as an update, the EP650B headphones arrived this morning and they are really good. Thanks for the help.

The only problem I have found with them is there is no way to control volumes to the left or right earpieces. I guess that feature only comes in a more expensive set.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
There are no modern headphones wired or wireless that have separate L/R volume controls.
As advised in the other thread alter the audio out balance in your TV's settings.

Fiesta Red

Thanks for the help.
That was the first thing I tried that but even with the balance all the way to the left, the headphones are still balanced centrally.

keneddy

Standard Member
No disrespect to Gary with the reply above, is there no one from the UK that can help or advise? I thought this would have been a pretty simply one for you knowledgeable guys.
Hi, I’m from North UK, and am also hard of hearing ( actually deaf in my right ear, poor in my left). All caused by excessive volumes when pre-teen.( I'm 68).
However, to solve my problem I realised it’s not just having better headphones, I need some amplification as well. As I suspect you do...
My choice is B&W P7 Wireless -Bluetooth Aptx- (£300 ish) if you have an A/V system-to help with the volume- because headphone sockets on most TVs aren’t loud enough- or, if you enjoy music through iPhone or laptop, invest in quality earbuds -mine are Sennheiser IE80s PLUS Dragonfly Red DAC. The combination is outstanding, enabling every strand of music to be heard- and I’ve only got one ear! ( I actually set my iPhone X to mono...). Hope this all helps. Cheers

Fiesta Red

Thanks for the great reply, most helpful. I'll read through and digest everything then take a look at your recommendations.

TerFar

As I get older, my hearing is not as good as it was so I'm thinking of using headphones to help. I've never had any before so I'm at a complete loss as to where to start.

I have looked at TV listeners but they seem to pick up and amplify other sounds within the house and that's what led me to the headphone idea. The TV is an LG 43UK6470PLC and I'm not even sure if it takes headphones in the old fashioned way of a jack plug.

Any help, advice or pointers in the right direction would be most welcome.
You and me both mate! I'm 75 and struggle with hearing the TV properly. I've tried loads of 'solutions', but after many red herrings, I've finally found a good solution.

Firstly, for Bluetooth you need a good transmitter that supports AptX Low Latency and eventually I settled on the Avantree Oasis Amazon productThis connect to my TV via the Optical connection for lossless audio and to a spare USB port for the 5v power. This means the Oasis turns on/off with the TV and its higher BT power means it works all over the house and in my case, around the garden too. This has obvious advantages such as you can pop-out to the loo and still listen to the TV, but it has disadvantages such as being the default 'volunteer' to make the tea or put out the bin because you can still hear the TV!

Secondly, for listening I use MEE EB1 earphones Amazon product.
I use these after trying many different options for these advantages. Firstly, they have a great BT range which I found that many very expensive headphones didn't work well if I just stepped outside the lounge. Secondly, they can be setup to match the user's hearing profile. When you get them, you download an App to your mobile phone and then follow the instruction to connect the mobile to your BT headset using the phone's Bluetooth. The App then sends a series of one/two or three beeps at various levels and frequencies which you answer 0, 1, 2 or 3 on the App. (0 is obviously if you hear nowt!). Once completed (it takes just a few minutes), the App then loads that hearing profile to the headphones, so whatever BT device you connect to the headphones, it will play using your person profile. Turn off the headphones, close the App, turn off the mobile phone's Bluetooth and now switch on your TV. Connect your headphones to the Oasis Bluetooth and that's it. You should now hear crystal clear sound in (almost) perfect sync with the TV. Frankly, the Low Latency connection does have a couple of microseconds lag, but it is hard to detect and virtually unnoticeable unless you are a musician!

Is this set up perfect? No it isn't. The MEE EB1 headphones are in the ultimate HiFi bracket and there are far better headphones in that price range. There is no real extended bass, but there are no others that let you change the profile to match your hearing loss. What we clotheared oldies want is clarity, so that we can understand what everyone is saying, so lack of thump thump bass is actually good for us. Another imperfection is the bud tips that it comes supplied with. These don't seal in the ears very well and let in loads of erroneous noise. So I've upgraded mine to the Comply Isolation Noise Cancelling Memory Foam tips, also available on Amazon Amazon productThe set linked have a pair of each size: once you have determined the right size, you can order single sizes in packs of three pairs.
The only other downside to the earphones is that the battery only last 5 to 6 hours in real world listening. If I'm listening to mostly speech on TV, they last nearer 6 hours: music or noisy programs seem to eat power a little faster, so 5 hours is nearer the mark.

Sorry this post is a little long, but I hope it gets you to a better quality of listening faster than me!

Fiesta Red

Brilliant, thank you for all the help and information. No problem at all with the long post, everything makes great sense and the links really help too.

For someone like me who didn't have a clue about headphones or accessories before I asked on here, I can take all the help I'm offered.

Melchizedek

I have a have a hearing problem, i bought a new samsung tv a couple of years ago which doesn't have a headphone jack ,at first i tried bluetooth headphones,but found that bluetooth was set at one volume which was way too low,i found the sennheiser rs175 wireless headphones were the solution & work great,they also have volume controls on one of the earcups along with surround sound & bass boost modes,they seem to have been discontinued now,but are often available on ebay

TerFar

I have a have a hearing problem, i bought a new samsung tv a couple of years ago which doesn't have a headphone jack ,at first i tried bluetooth headphones,but found that bluetooth was set at one volume which was way too low,i found the sennheiser rs175 wireless headphones were the solution & work great,they also have volume controls on one of the earcups along with surround sound & bass boost modes,they seem to have been discontinued now,but are often available on ebay
Buried deeply inside most of Samsung TV settings, you can set the volume level of the Bluetooth audio. You certainly can on mine. But it doesn't use low latency and sound sync delay is sufficient to be annoying. I also found the Sennheiser RS suffered the same delays. Pity because they are great sounding phones.

Peterbeard

Standard Member
As I get older, my hearing is not as good as it was so I'm thinking of using headphones to help. I've never had any before so I'm at a complete loss as to where to start.

I have looked at TV listeners but they seem to pick up and amplify other sounds within the house and that's what led me to the headphone idea. The TV is an LG 43UK6470PLC and I'm not even sure if it takes headphones in the old fashioned way of a jack plug.

Any help, advice or pointers in the right direction would be most welcome.
I have a similar problem and often want tv sound louder than my wife finds acceptable. I use the tv optical out fed into a headphone amp I bought on ebay for less than £20 and AKGk240df headphones, they are open backed, light and hence easy to wear for long periods. The quality is excellent.

Knox

Other options:
Wired headphones plugged directly into the TV phono out.
Excellent quality sound but the cable across the room could be annoying.

Small Bluetooth transmitter/receiver such as Mpow, plug in any wired headphone.
Works well with in-ear, on ear or over ear headphone.

Wireless headphones, such as Sennheiser HDR 120, quality sound, long range up to 100 metres.
Works through walls, comfortable.

I use all the above, a total of six headphones.
Love playing with techie stuff, keeps me amused in my old age.

Haven't tried PeterBeard's idea, looks interesting.

Fiesta Red

I have a similar problem and often want tv sound louder than my wife finds acceptable. I use the tv optical out fed into a headphone amp I bought on ebay for less than £20 and AKGk240df headphones, they are open backed, light and hence easy to wear for long periods. The quality is excellent.
Thanks for the help Peter.

Fiesta Red

Other options:
Wired headphones plugged directly into the TV phono out.
Excellent quality sound but the cable across the room could be annoying.

Small Bluetooth transmitter/receiver such as Mpow, plug in any wired headphone.
Works well with in-ear, on ear or over ear headphone.

Wireless headphones, such as Sennheiser HDR 120, quality sound, long range up to 100 metres.
Works through walls, comfortable.

I use all the above, a total of six headphones.
Love playing with techie stuff, keeps me amused in my old age.

Haven't tried PeterBeard's idea, looks interesting.
Thanks for the reply and all the information. Really appreciate the help.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom