Headphone advice please

Fiesta Red

As I get older, my hearing is not as good as it was so I'm thinking of using headphones to help. I've never had any before so I'm at a complete loss as to where to start.

I have looked at TV listeners but they seem to pick up and amplify other sounds within the house and that's what led me to the headphone idea. The TV is an LG 43UK6470PLC and I'm not even sure if it takes headphones in the old fashioned way of a jack plug.

Any help, advice or pointers in the right direction would be most welcome.

GaryPSU

Standard Member
Get a Bluetooth transmitter with the APTX low latency codec. Also get earbuds/earphones with the APTX low latency codec. These wireless items with that specific codec will allow the voice to be in sync with the picture. Various varieties of both are available at Amazon. Total can be less than $60. Easy hookup. I use them to watch TV in the bedroom without disturbing my wife after she falls asleep.

Fiesta Red

No disrespect to Gary with the reply above, is there no one from the UK that can help or advise? I thought this would have been a pretty simply one for you knowledgeable guys.

Fiesta Red

Thanks for the help Gary, really appreciated. Do you have a link to anything you mentioned at all please? Not having a clue what I'm looking for, it would be a great help.

leckie

My recommendation would be picking up a good set of bluetooth headphones. You don't need a bluetooth transmitter as your TV already has bluetooth built in, it's just a case of changing the source in the audio settings.

As for recommendations on a particular set of headphones, that would really be determined by budget. However if you're going to be wearing them for a while I'd go for something comfortable, e.g. a good set over over-ears. You can't go wrong with the Sony XM3/XM4's but that may be outside of what you were hoping to spend.

Fiesta Red

My recommendation would be picking up a good set of bluetooth headphones. You don't need a bluetooth transmitter as your TV already has bluetooth built in, it's just a case of changing the source in the audio settings.

As for recommendations on a particular set of headphones, that would really be determined by budget. However if you're going to be wearing them for a while I'd go for something comfortable, e.g. a good set over over-ears. You can't go wrong with the Sony XM3/XM4's but that may be outside of what you were hoping to spend.
Thanks for all the help Leckie, really appreciated.

Having had a quick look on Aamazon but with a budget around the £100 mark, the Sony ones you mentioned are a little on the high side. Didn't realise there were so many and in such a wide range of prices.

Can I ask how the Bluetooth headphones plug in to the TV?

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Can I ask how the Bluetooth headphones plug in to the TV?
They don’t. They’re wireless.
You set your TV Audio output to Bluetooth and “Pair” it to any Bluetooth wireless headphones.
It's just a case of picking a set of on-ear or over-ear headphones to suit your budget.
Amazon have a reasonably cheap brand which get good reviews and I've seen them recommended here in the forum.
Amazon product

Fiesta Red

They don’t. They’re wireless.
You set your TV Audio output to Bluetooth and “Pair” it to any Bluetooth wireless headphones.
It's just a case of picking a set of on-ear or over-ear headphones to suit your budget.
Amazon have a reasonably cheap brand which get good reviews and I've seen them recommended here in the forum.
Amazon product
Brilliant, thank you. Apologies for asking what may seem dumb questions but when using the Bluetooth headphones, does it cut the TVs speakers out? I'm the only one listening so it wouldn't be a problem.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Yes, it probably will.
Some brands (e.g. my own Panasonic) give you the option of using the speakers and wireless headphones at the same time but I don't think LG does.

leckie

Brilliant, thank you. Apologies for asking what may seem dumb questions but when using the Bluetooth headphones, does it cut the TVs speakers out? I'm the only one listening so it wouldn't be a problem.
JayCee has made some good recommendations. I can confirm too that the sound will only come through the headphones when you select bluetooth on your LG TV. No dumb questions either, it's why the community is here to help.

SeeMoreDigital

If you have one near you @Fiesta Red, Aldi and Lidl quite often sell Bluetooth headphones and earphones ;)

Fiesta Red

Had a quick look at the TV and the Bluetooth in the sound section is greyed out. Will this change when I get headphones and switch them on please?

GaryPSU

Standard Member
I have my Bluetooth transmitter attached to the audio out plugs on my cable box. That way the tv speakers and earphones work independently. That’s why I recommended a transmitter and earphones. You don’t need high quality. It’s only for tv sound. I don’t know what’s available in the UK, but don’t forget that both items should have aptx low latency or the picture and sound will be out of sync. Good luck.

Fiesta Red

Another question if I may, will I be able to charge the EP650 headphones from one of the USB ports on the TV?

Reading the EP650 manual online (waiting for the headphones to arrive) it just says charge from a powered USB port.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
As long as the headphones required charging current doesn’t exceed 1A you can probably get away with charging them from the USB port on the TV intended for use with a HDD.
They are usually clearly marked beside the port or the TV's user manual will show you which one.

SeeMoreDigital

Another question if I may, will I be able to charge the EP650 headphones from one of the USB ports on the TV?

Reading the EP650 manual online (waiting for the headphones to arrive) it just says charge from a powered USB port.
The following is stated in the 'User Manual': -

Headphones.PNG

Cheers

SeeMoreDigital

Thank you for posting the information. Is there any way I can find out what voltage the USB port on my TV is please?
A USB-A port connection is standardised at 5 volts DC (since 1996) for all devices...

JayCee

Distinguished Member
But make sure you use the USB3 port marked “HDD” as that can supply close to 1A.
A standard USB2 port can only supply a max current of 500mA.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

Sky seals Studiocanal movie deal
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra smart phones
  • By Andy Bassett