Headphone Advice for a newbie!

rozzr

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

As you can see i am new to these forums and also the world of AV equipment. I want to buy a pair of headphones (approx. £30-£40 on eBay) which will offer particularly good bass and also capable of going loud!

I would really appreciate any help as tbh i dont have a clue!!

Thanks all,

Rory

rory_fcs said:
Hi there,

As you can see i am new to these forums and also the world of AV equipment. I want to buy a pair of headphones (approx. £30-£40 on eBay) which will offer particularly good bass and also capable of going loud!

I would really appreciate any help as tbh i dont have a clue!!

Thanks all,

Rory
Hi & welcome :smashin:
What do you want the cans for (?)
Home use Richersounds do the Beyerdynamic DT231 Galactic for £40
Portable use Sennheiser PX100 most retailers for £30 although for more bass you might want to spend a bit more on something like the Koss PortaPro
There is also a big market here / at Head-Fi / Ebay in 2nd hand cans (I have seen here the likes of the Sennheiser HD555 going for £40 :eek:)
HTH - Paul ;)

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your advice i will have a look around.

I will be using these headphones with an mp3 player (the sony nw-a1000) and possibly the ipod video 30gb as well. But like i say, good bass and nice 'n' lound are the main features i'm looking for.

Oh yeah, also any reccommendations on the earbud front (preferably not in-ear ones)

Thanks

Rory

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
:rotfl: FYI, theres no such thing as an earbud that does not go into the ear.

I recommend the Sennheiser CX300 for a change :) blows the competition clean out of the water.

But there are earphones which go deep in you ear compared to the Apple Ipod ear buds.

if loudness on the Ipod is an issue due to the european capping of volume there are programs you can put on the Ipod to remove the limiter.

Steve

pbirkett said:
I recommend the Sennheiser CX300 for a change :) blows the competition clean out of the water.

Cool! They look nice headphones thanks.

StevieDvd said:
But there are earphones which go deep in you ear compared to the Apple Ipod ear buds.

if loudness on the Ipod is an issue due to the european capping of volume there are programs you can put on the Ipod to remove the limiter.

Steve

Well you don't need the programs actually (like say imod) just select (in iTunes) the songs and go to properties and set volume to +70%, (100%) if you must (but can distort playback in itunes) but fine on iPod. I cannot get my volume past half way without ear damage (hence the reason for cap in the first place).

Just bought a pair of CX300's so thanks for the advice guys!

Lost my ipod earhphones just recently. Can anyone recomend some headphones for the ipod, rather than the earphones? I find them much more comfortable hence the change. Thanks.

rory_fcs said:
Just bought a pair of CX300's so thanks for the advice guys!

How do you find the CX300s? Are they comfortable? I am sure they sound great, but could you wear them for an hour or two without problems?

These aren't headphones though. I have worn in-ears for about 3 hours+ you kind of get use to them but they are not more comfortable than normal in-ear or headphone.

The sennheiser px100 are quite good for the price you say. Look at the sennheiser range.

dashfield said:
How do you find the CX300s? Are they comfortable? I am sure they sound great, but could you wear them for an hour or two without problems?

I havent got them yet. Just paid for them yesterday evening - so hopefuly ill have them soon..

Just picked up the CX300's from the P/O a few hours ago.

First impressions - loud and nice bass!!

Also, they are very comfortable - and i'm not normally a fan of "in-ear" headphones.

When i tried them at first with my iPod i wasn't that impressed, however, on the Sony NW-A1000 where you can set-up the equilizer properly i was very happy!

Overall, nice pair of headphones and recommended! :thumbsup:

Hi folks,

i have a pair of sen mx550's and am tinkering with upgrading to cx300's. i'm wondering will i notice a difference? all tracks on my sony hd5 are 256 atrac... could do with keeping the cash if i'm not going to notice a difference...

cheers,
mick

The cx300 will offer better isolation, comfort and bass while sounding largely similar in other areas to the mx550.

I haven't tried other 'professional' headphones, so I'm definitely not an expert -- but, I have the Sennheiser PX100 and I *do* like it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom