• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

headphone 6.3 mill adapter tip stuck inside amps headphone socket

bethy1234

Novice Member
Hi team,

i've been trying to find a solution for my problem for a few days now. My Beyerdynamic dt770 adapter tip has broken off inside my amps headphone socket. I need to remove it. Taking the amp apart give me no better access to the headphone socket itself. With the tip still inside the amp it has switched off the speakers circuit as well, so i am royally screwed.

I know if you have an adapter tip stuck inside an iphone you can use a q-tip, insert it and pull out a 3.5 mill broken adapter tip, but i am looking for the same sort of technique, but for a 6.3 mill adapter tip.

I'm reaching out guys. Any Heath Robinson ideas out there?

Thanks in advance.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Not sure I'm understanding this 100% but if I am have you got a pair of needle nose pliers? You might be able to insert them in the hole, open the pliers and pull out the broken adapter.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
How has the adapter broken / come apart so as to leave part inside the connector? A photo of the remains may help. That can then give an idea of how you may be able to grab and pull the stuck part out using pliers or a long screw/pin to connect with the part inside.

Otherwise it's likely that complete disassembly, de-soldering the jack socket, and replacing with a new socket may be the only way to fix it... any competent electronic repair shop technician (TV/Radio/Hi-Fi) could do that. Or if you are a practical sort it may be within the scope for d-i-y?

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom