Head vs phono

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by davidb71, Nov 3, 2005.

1. davidb71

davidb71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure if this is best place to post this. Can anyone tell me the difference in quality between recording from the headphone socket of a stereo and proper phono outs? I am looking to but a new tape-deck separate as my all in one has no aux out. But I could record tapes using the headphone socket.

I presume I'll get much better quality from the dedicated outs but wondered if you guys would comment.

Cheers as ever.
    David.

2. Gullanian

Gullanian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've no idea sorry, but pop into your hifi shop and try them out, and pick the one that sounds best for you!

3. andy malcolm

andy malcolm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    we did something similar to this at work the other day when we didn't have the right cable. we found that the volume from the headphone socket was way way lower than if you used a dedicated socket.

4. davidb71

davidb71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy, thankyou. I guess I could try hooking up my headphone socket and see what the result sounds like. Have been informed that a modern cassette deck separate will output a signal that doesn't need an amp. Cool news.