• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Head Unit Wont Turn Off!

louiseharman

Hello!

I have a 1996 Vauxhall Corsa, looking to replace the headunit but with my current head unit i have to manually switch off the unit when i leave the car to stop it draining my battery, it wont turn off by itself. Do you know why this happens? How can I fix it? Will it happen if i change my head unit?

Raj24v

First off, has your radio always done this or is it something it's just started doing recently??

This normally occurs when the radio is wired to a permanent power feed and doesn't have an ignition live.

louiseharman

Thanks,

I just brought the car so im guessing it has allways done this.

Can it be changed to go off when i turn the car off? Is it hard to do?

I also had a feeling it was wired directly to the battery :(

Ayub

Distinguished Member
When you remove the key, does it go off.

Raj24v

Thanks,

I just brought the car so im guessing it has allways done this.

Can it be changed to go off when i turn the car off? Is it hard to do?

I also had a feeling it was wired directly to the battery :(

Yes it should be simple enough to do.
Your car came with a permanent and ignition live for the radio from the factory, but for some reason your new radio has not been wired correctly.

Release the unit and look at the red and yellow wires behind the unit, i bet they're just twisted/connected together.

They might have done this because they couldn't find your ignition feed, so check your fuses too.

Hope that makes sense.:smashin:

IANOLIVER

The Vauxhall units have a facility to change the setting from being switched on/off by the ignition or by the on/off switch only. Its a long time since I have done it and I can't remember which buttons but I think you hold in buttons 3 and 5 and then turn on. This was detailed in the owners guide.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom