1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Head unit with aux for Mstation

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by davids_karma, Jan 4, 2005.

1. davids_karma

davids_karma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone,

First time poster but long time lurker and would like to thank you all for the great forums you all contribute too which are a fantastic source of information!!!

In fact it was reading posts of positive experiences on AV Forums which convinced me to take the plunge and buy my Mstation about 6 months ago :)

Anyway 6 months later I am fed up using the FM modulator to connect the Mstation to my Renault Megane due to poor quality and problems with it cutting out. So I have been looking at buying at a new head unit - the point this newbie got lost :rolleyes:

I am looking for the cheapest possible head unit with the connections to connect the Mstation properly?? Local car audio place recommended Kenwood 7027 and the Clarion 748RMP - what do people think of these?? I gather its because of the aux connection on these - that they allow rca connections at the other end rather than just the single jack??

Anyway I would like to thank anyone in advance for any help they can offer!!! I look forward to building up my car sound system and get the impression this is the first step in a journey :D

Regards
    David

2. jtf

jtf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    i wouldn't bother with either of these units. i would go for a pioneer deh-6500 then add an autoleads pioneer aux adapter which should be available from any local car audio shop. this would give you much better sq and looks than the two units suggested to you which would also need seperate adapters to get your mstation to work

3. davids_karma

davids_karma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi jtf,

Just to be sure this is what you would recommend??:
    http://caraudiosecurity.com/catalog/product_info.php+products_id+3122

It is amazing the price differences you find in car audio products searching the web?? And thats not even mentioning the likes of Halfords :)

Anyone else got any suggestions?? I like the pioneer cause it's saving me money at that price!!! The great thing about forums like this is you don't have to worry the advice you are being given is based purely on what will make the sales person most money (call me skeptical)!!!

Thanks again for any input!!!

David

4. jtf

jtf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    yep thats the one or you could go for the newer model the 6600. internally its the same it just looks a bit different

5. davids_karma

davids_karma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi jtf,

Thanks again for your help - I think I will go for your recommendation!!!

One more question and maybe now you will say I want my cake and to eat it:
    Can you use the 6500 with the radio and vehicle adaptors available from caraudiodirect to use the Megane's stalk volume control?? It doesn't mention the 6500 on their site however it does say it is ok with the 6600 and you said internally the are identical!!!

Anyway thanks again for any help given and I am sorry if these questions seem basic to you guys on the forums!!! I am on a steep learning curve at the moment :blush:

Regards
    David

6. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi David
    I bought a Pioneer DEH-P8400MP (£300 but dunno if still available) & RCA adapter (£60) from Car Audio Security to use with my M-Station.
    I sounds amazing. Very pleased with it.

Ps have you visited the maunfacturers website & forum.

Check it out, it's very helpful. Make sure you get the latest firmware.

7. jtf

jtf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    there are two ways of doing it.
    1, for the 6500 pioneer do an IR stalk control adapter this is quite pricey at approx £100 this is the only option on this unit as there is no direct input.
    2, for the 6600 autoleads make an adapter which plugs into an input on the back of the unit. the lead retails for around £30.
    if it was me i'd go for the 6600 it will work out alot cheaper

8. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Pioneer do an aux input box that goes into the changer socket. You just have to tell the unit in the setup menu that it is installed and when you press source it will then have an input called "aux".

9. davids_karma

davids_karma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

Thanks to everyone for their replies!!!

jtf - I don't think Megane stalk control is important enough to justify me spending that type of money!!! Although sound quality is important and I am willing to spend a little more to see improvement the main issue here is keeping costs down - to be honest since the Mstation doesn't work half the time with the FM modulator any aux input will prob be a significant improvement :)

So still edging towards the 6500 although any cheaper but still good recommendations are still welcome!!!

MikeFish - I think the 8400 is a bit out of my league!!! However the link to those sites was appreciated as I hadn't been there!!! Had a 40GB in my Mstation and couldn't work out how to get all space available cause using XP - reading the Mstation forums has helped me to resolve this :) Do you use the open source firmware?? Any probs when you flashed it??

TooManyHobbies - thanks for all your input!!! Guy at local store had already explained that to me but it does give you an idea of how basic I am starting out so you were right to post the info!!!

Anyway thanks again for the help given and any offered in future!!! Really have to work on reducing the length of my posts :)

Regards
    David