• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Head Unit Recommendations (Single DIN)

wicker_man

Established Member
Hi, I need to get a new head unit for my car (E46 BMW 320Ci) and just looking for some suggestions. I will be running the stock speakers for now, but planning on upgrading in the future.

My basic requirements are that its has at least one rear USB (two would be nice so I can connect my iPhone and a hard drive) and preferably something with a clean(ish) design. Looking to spend around £150 but flexible. My music preferences tend to be from hard rock to heavy/extreme metal (if that is a factor).

I have seen the Pioneer DEH-X9500BT which looks quite nice and meets my needs, any feedback or better options?
Car Sounds & Security - Home : Store : Pioneer : Car Stereos : Deh-X9500bt

Any advice/comments appreciated. Thanks!

(I am going to get a single DIN fascia from the BMW dealer so the head unit is centred, and some kind of dash mount for my iPhone.)

MontyPS3

Established Member
I'm getting the X8500DAB (Actually bought it already) but I only got that for the DAB option. Have a look at Kenwood BT92SD - that has exceptional reviews and I would have gone for that if not for the extra DAB I required.

You didn't say in your requirements if you wanted Bluetooth, front/rear aux etc. So if rear USB is your only requirement, you can get cheaper units (£<100) that meet that requirement.

(With Bluetooth, you wouldn't need a rear USB for your iPhone ;))

wicker_man

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. Bluetooth is something that is nice to have but not critical, I would prefer a USB connection for my iPhone (and to keep it charged too!) I think dual USB would be nice so I can keep a USB port in the glove box (for use with a hard drive of music) and another cable routed 'out front' for my iPhone.

I was looking mainly at Pioneer and Alpines as they tend to be the most highly rated from my research, but Pioneers tend to have a warmer sound (which I would prefer over brighter Alpines). Also the Kenwood you mention looks nice but it doesn't seem that much cheaper than the Pioneer X9500, and also it mentions an optional KCA-ip102 is needed for iPod control?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom