He must have a good camera

simonblue

Distinguished Member
I help out at little one school,and take some photos for the school to put up on the school wall,or their little news sheet.

The end of the term,the teacher who i work with is retiring,so i made up some of the photo i taken over the years for her.
And some of the mums asked for a few photos,so i gave them out today,they were all very pleased,then i overheard a couple of mums talking,(their such good photo,he must have a good or expensive camera)

:laugh:

Last edited:

shotokan101

Distinguished Member
But it's true......

=adrian=

Correct me if Im wrong, but people often judge those things based on the value, ie. if your service is free of charge than it you can't be good in their minds (hence the expensive camera comment). When you value your work and charge people accordingly than they are more likely to value and respect your skills rather than your equipment.

At least that's my theory :)

simplicity96

Distinguished Member
You are right I think Adrian. I used to fix computers many years ago in my spare time free of charge, and got the neigh sayers and all those who expected the worst for a free or cheap job. I got very busy though and tried to quash it by charging a 'going rate' I now fix computers for a living and dont have 5 minutes to myself :( but the change in attitude was amazing and the flurry of business was confusing to say I had started charging. I think the general thought is if you are willing to charge a 'going rate' for your work then you must be good.

Or as you say the mindset of people to the value of a service and the gravity that carries.

simonblue

Distinguished Member
Correct me if Im wrong, but people often judge those things based on the value, ie. if your service is free of charge than it you can't be good in their minds (hence the expensive camera comment). When you value your work and charge people accordingly than they are more likely to value and respect your skills rather than your equipment.

At least that's my theory :)
I think you maybe right,didnt take to badly,it was only to some of the mums i know,who children i have help with,thought it was a bit of :D

Mind you when i was a pro years ago,you sometimes get that same comment,at wedding you be doing and chargeing for :)

eddiewood

Distinguished Member
That's why they get so disappointed when buying a dSLR and it doesn't give professional results. They then complain that their 50 quid compact was "better" and had more zoom. :laugh:

They really do believe it's the camera not the photographer.

topgazza

Distinguished Member
It ISN'T ? :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
I saw an amusing post on a camera forum which may or may not be true but it doesn't matter, something along the lines of the photographer being told how good their photos were they must have a very good camera followed by the photographer commenting later on how good the meal was, they must have great cooking utensils ;)

John

eddiewood

Distinguished Member

topgazza

Distinguished Member
Phew..... I was worried there for a mo.... :thumbsup:

Faldrax

Of course, we all know that it's the photographer that's important, so never waste our time in pointless discussions over which is the 'best' camera :devil:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Sigismund

This story begs the question... would you be happier if, after seeing your photos, people said -

"He (or she) must have a good camera."

or would you prefer,

"He (or she) can't be using a very good camera."? :D

=adrian=

"Photographer" is there just to press the button in the mind of average Joe and Jill, reduced to mere "remote controler" of dSLR camera.

I guess this might be the reason why so many professional photographers feel the need to post the whole gear list on their websites :rolleyes:

Anyway, I don't think it will get any easier in the years to come. Point and Shoot cameras are getting better and better and aunt Mary and unkle James are more likely to buy one of those £200-300 P&S rather than pay £200-300 for prefessional photo service, because "I can press the button myself" :rolleyes:

Newcastle20

Novice Member
This really winds me up. When i show my pictures to friends/colleagues they always say "you must have a good camera". I feel like giving them my camera for a day and see if they can do any better!

eddiewood

Distinguished Member
This really winds me up. When i show my pictures to friends/colleagues they always say "you must have a good camera". I feel like giving them my camera for a day and see if they can do any better!
Must...resist....temptation...too much....:D

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom