HDV MiniDV tape camcorders - price rise

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by M Stewart, Jul 31, 2012.

1. M Stewart

M Stewart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I had a rare opportunity (for me) to view some of my old HDV tapes on a 40" Full HD Samsung LED TV yesterday evening. (Normally I view in SD direct to old type CRT TV, or via DVD)
    My camcorders are a Sony HDR-HC5, and a Canon Legria HV30. Connection was via HDMI cable from the camera's terminal to the TV input. I was surprised, and pleased, at the excellent quality straight out of the camera. So this got me googling to check on current prices, and I was surprised to find that prices for both of my camcorders have hardened quite significantly. The HC5 seems to have doubled in price since I bought mine, new, in a Comet sale several years ago, whilst prices for a used HV30 are now around 50% higher than I paid last autumn to an ebay based dealer.

Any ideas why? I thought the popular kid on the block was now AVCHD based.

2. Chelters

Chelters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    They've probably gone up because of lack of demand strangely enough.
    If a shop can sell something in high volume then it's price will be lowered, when that 'peak' demand has passed it's price will rise again. Manufacturers will also lower their wholesale price to promote a new product, allowing retail to do the same.

3. rogs

rogs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    As the manufactured numbers of mechanical DV tape transport systems decreases (if it hasn't actually stopped already?) we enter a new world of economics..

The economy of scale is removed from the equation, and you start to see the beginning of the inevitable rise in price of, even secondhand, tape based camcorders, as people - some with lots of DV tapes in their archives - start to try and replace aging and faulty units with new (-or newer!) devices.

We have discussed it here before.....it's probably time for many folk to start thinking about transferring their precious DV tapes to another digital medium, for 'future proofing'.

It'll be a long time before DV tape transports disappear altogether of course.... but you can bet the price will continue to rise for the surviving devices.......

4. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    That is my experience as well
    A second hand Canon HV 40 Cost £299 ..

5. Jim2012

Jim2012
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have an HV30 but wasn't aware of the recent price hike.

I've had mine about 3 years and like you have only recently discovered how amazing the pictures are on a large HD telly. Plus I can stream the edited videos from my PC straight to the TV (though I've had to use a network cable to connect it, as my aging wireless net wasn't fast enough!).

6. Ebberly

Ebberly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have put my tapes on the new TVs and it is a nice surprise, but going back even further in my old tapes the Hi8 come over very well too by direct camera connection (so now I've got to copy them ALL for safe keeping, that'll be fun)

I recently had a prob with my Sony TVR900E (for me a great cam), I contacted Sony UK to get it repaired only to be told they don't repair miniDV tape camcorders anymore, I was :facepalm:gutted!

Good job I also have the 950E, I hope that lives on a long time.

I'm sure many retailers know it's getting more difficult to stay with miniDV tape as a medium but whilst they have stocks of both tapes and cameras very few of them will come clean about their increasing disappearance.

Regards,

Mike.

7. Bob++

Bob++

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    No doubt there will be many people offering to do the conversion at a price:)