HDV camcorder choice - HV20 or HC7?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by RossC, Jan 25, 2008.

1. RossC

RossC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

After everyones previous comments and advice I've pretty much decided to go for a HDV replacement for my old Panasoinc DV cam, and narrowed it down to two models;

- Sony HDR HC7
    - Canon HV20

And having read many reviews and forums it apparently seems there's the inevitable pros and cons for both (Canon has good picture quality but noisy tape mechanism and poor build, whilst the Sony is less effective in low light and lacks 25P).

So, in the day to day real world, do those of you that use these two models find the same issues, or is this just the reviewers? And, ultimately, whoch one is the better choice? Appreciate all you rcpmments, thanks.

2. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    I haven used the HC7 but have the much older HC1 ( great build quality), and FX1 : in a different class.
    I have also however used the HV20 ( and Still have the HG10)
    I think that if the Low light performance of the HC1 is anything to go by, the HC7 is said to be better and I cannot imagine it will be bad at all
    Th HV20 does have good low light performance ( and with it a little less AF hunting in low light C/W the HC1 ( not 7) , but I suspect the differences between it and the HC7 are down to personal preferences in "how it feels" and cost
    They are far more similar than not and neither is in absolute terms "better"
    As for 25P . I did not use it much on the HV 20 and don't on the HG10 to notice it makes a difference and it wouldn't be the deal breaker for me
    Good luck:smashin:

3. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    I agree with Senu. Whilst I guess all of us here want to make sure we are getting the best for our needs (so often go in circles on analysis), these 2 models are so close in overall performance that if you get fed up with the analysis, choose the one you like the look of better, or flip a coin.

Unless you must have progressive mode, then it has to be the HV20.

4. RossC

RossC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the replies - over analysis can certainly lead to never making a decision! But I'm inerested in your progressive mode comment - is that someything I should consider right now? Currenly have non HD progresive plasma and DVD player, but really the HD choice is about future viewing so should the lack of progressive be a factor?

5. felix2

felix2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Agreed, by all accounts you really won't be disappointed with either of these. I spent a long time wondering whether to go for the Canon HV20 or the Sony HC7, and eventually went for the Sony. I've been very pleased with it, it's a real pleasure to use on a nearly daily basis, and the picture's great! I haven't so much as touched an HV20 so obviously can't comment on that.

From the looking around that I did, they both seem to have their (slight) pros and cons. I don't know if you've had the misfortune (!) of seeing all my waffle in a few different threads linked from this old post - not that my opinion's worth any more than anyone else's, I just wrote down many of my ponderings :D

6. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Progressive.... well some think progressive is the only way. Others think it's a bit of hype...

I'm kind of in the middle. I've use an interlaced HDV cam (HC1), and on a progressive plasma screen it looks great. A good progressive display will do a good job deinterlacing. So I don't see progressive as some must have.

On the other hand, if your video is to be shown on a progressive device, keeping it progressive all the way makes sense... remember interlaced video is something which was created for CRT TVs and their speed of scanning...

The final point is that from reviews of the HV20 (and I've not experimented with it myself... I've seen some interlaced video from it only) it has better low light performance in progressive mode.

So for me... even though I love my HC1, I'd probably lean towards the HV20, as I'd like to have that progressive mode as an option. But if someone gave me a HC7 I'd not be dissapointed....

Dissapointingly, Sony's new HC9 doesn't have progressive either.

7. RossC

RossC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks everyone - I'm going to check out both tomorrow and see which feels better to use (as just like an SLR, confident handling can make all the difference), and make my decision based on that, and hopefully not see anything else that adds to the selection! (HV10 anyone?)