HDTV's in the Comet supplement

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by RecordablDVDfan, Oct 2, 2005.

1. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Just looking at this and see a nice Philips and a nice LG. What would you go for and why ? I like the look of the LG more than the philips but looks are not everything of course

I know the which hdtv subject has been gone on about 50,000 times but never has choosing a new tv or a new anything been so dificut up until now!

2. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    My guess is that you're going to have to let us know the model number here, otherwise we're just recommending a brand to you.

3. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    OK these both have freeview tuners, LG has PIP and 3 scarts but is not advertised as HD ready ..

Philips 42" Model no : 42PF7520D/10

LG 42" Model no : Slim Vision 42PX4DV

I know Fevzi on Talksport has a high regards for Philips...

www.gadgetdetective.com

4. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
  5. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I see that the LG has been discussed on here...Has the problem with the tv not storing settings now been fixed ?

The LG is not up to true HD spec anyway. Is it 1368 x 1024 for true 100% HD spec ? Few tv's seem to have this so far ?

Seems a lot who buy these types of near HD spec'd TV's will be disappointed in the future then ?

6. Venom1924

Venom1924
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if u want lg hd ready then it will be the 42px5 i think comet sell it for about 1999

7. tgl

tgl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well, I have got a 42PX4DV and the only slight disappointment in factual technical terms is the low display resolution of 852 x 480. However, the good news is that the set accepts all three high definition signal inputs up to 1080i and compresses them downwards to 852 x 480. The even better news is that I have tested an Xbox 360 (High Def Mode) on this and a 42" High Definition display that supports the full 1080i screen resolution, and you know what, the reality is that while the 42" true High Def display was better compared to the LG, sitting a few feet away the difference is really very small for the money. The true high def display cost £4600.00 where as my LG only cost £1300.00.

So, is the true high def display really worth the money? IMHO the answer is a resounding "no" (thankfully I don't own the plasma nor the Xbox 360 console).

The problems that have been noted in this thread regarding screen settings getting reset after turning off the TV, have not occurred on the LG screen that I have. I guess this was a glitch with older firmware versions (can't tell you what firmware virsion I have at the moment, but could check if anyone wants to know).

If you get an LG now (mine was from Comet), then I don't think you will be disappointed, especially as it is future proof in the sense that it supports all but does not display) High Def resolutions as input signals.

Happy viewing...

8. Tony B

Tony B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Anyone wanting an HDTV would be somewhat unwise to consider buying a set with 852*480 resolution....

1366*768, 1280*720, or 1920*1080 resolution, with HDCP supporting HDMI/DVI inputs (as many as possible, or at least 2, anyway).

Just because a TV is HD compatible it does not mean you will be getting an HD image, and even if you cannot tell much of a difference with an XBox360 as the source, there IS a difference. I would suggest that the XBox360 was too much of a limiting factor

9. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I think I'll go for a philips evetually when the time / price is right etc, as they sell a 1368 x 768 model. it's a jungle out there!

The HD ready spec is a total con though it's fooling the public big time. Any thing less than 1368 x 768 should NOT be classed as HD. The term 'True HD' would be more truthfull than HD ready