1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDTV vs SD display...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by peezee, Mar 11, 2005.

1. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's a thought:

based on what we know (or at least, how I understand it) about how the future HD (HD-DVD/BluRay or HDTV) will operate, the presence or lack of a DVI-HDCP/HDMi input on an SD plasma display is almost IRRELEVANT for watching HDTV. :eek:

Here's the assumptions I've taken:

1/ All HD sources, be it HD-DVD, BluRay (which BTW just got Apple in their camp :)), or HDTV (e.g. SkyHD), will have a Component output; and, that Component output will be mainly used to simultaneously source a downrez'ed version of the original HD video stream (while it might also be used to source full-blown 720p or 1080i HD signals too, say for non-live, non protected broadcasts).

2/ Considering their more recent design, there's a good chance that HD sources will do at least an equally good job at downrez'ing an HD signal as do typical/good plasma displays, in some case they might even do a better job. Admittedly, there's no full guarantee here, but at least a reasonable assumption.

3/ For video type signals, there's no real significant delta in picture quality b/w DVI/HDMi and Component inputs. This is true for many -but not all- plasma screens.

What happens here is that, whatever the video format being sent to the display, it will have to be downscaled to 853x480 anyway. Even if the SD screen does have a 720p/1080i capable digital input.

Given this, on an SD plasma display the only diff. b/w having a DVI/HDMi input or NOT having it is that:
    -> w/ DVI/HDMi: only one downscaling operation is required (720p/1080i -> 480p)
    -> w/o DVI/HDMi: two d/s operations required: 720p/1080i -> 576i (within HD source) and 576i -> 480p (within plasma screen).

I believe some difference in PQ b/w these two "paths" will exist but should be fairly minor, esp. on high quality plasma screens with good internal processing. Top quality YUV cabling a must, of course.

BTW, HD video, even downrez'ed to SD, looks way better than regular SD as we know it today.

So I guess what I'm getting at is that, if you own (or plan to purchase) an SD plasma display, the lack of digital input, or the lack of support for say 50Hz HDTV via DVI/HDMi (Panasonic PW plasmas, e.g. :D ) should not prompt you to dump yr plasma to buy a new "HD Ready" set (or prevent you from buying it) just b/c of future HD requirements... :cool:

Allright, that's it for the theory. I'm sure someone will find a flaw, just curious to see what you think... :)

2. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In summary: :D

is it true, as I've read in a few places, that future HD sources (HD-DVD/BluRay and HD STB's) should be providing a downrez'ed version of the original HD video via their Component output (simultaneous to the HD stream present at the DVI/HDMi output), such that non-HD Ready displays will still be able to deliver a <SD quality> picture - or is it just balls?

The EICTA "HD Ready" label does specify that the display shall have both a DVI/HDMi input AND a Component input; I believe most HD sources will have both types of output connexions too (incl. SkyHD STB imho, but that's another subject) - but now I'm not sure anymore on the hypothesis above.

In fact I've read on this forum that HDCP dictates any analog output to be shut off (i.e. not downrez'ing) when streaming HD video, so I'm not sure anymore... :confused: