1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDTV via component - let's clear this up once and for all!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by TheBoingoBandit, Feb 13, 2005.

1. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I understand about HDTV via HDMI and DVI(HDCP) but I'm still not sure about HDTV via component. I am talking about HDTV on DVD not Sky/Cable.

Please can someone answer me this question?

Will a screen with a minimum resolution of 1280x720 and a component input automatically accept a HDTV feed?

If not, what is a screen's minimum requirements to show HDTV via component?

Thanks in advance!

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Licensed DVD players can only output SD (interlaced or progressive) via component. If you want upscaled, you either need one that used a digital connection + HDCP or select from one or two of the very few DVD players that is unlicensed and will allow upscaled via component. Another option is an external scaler ££££.

Alternatively a PC but that could all change by the summer.

As for your question "Will a screen with a minimum resolution of 1280x720 and a component input automatically accept a HDTV feed?"

Well it all depends. Some screens will, some screens won't, some will only accept 720p or 1080i but not both, some screens will only accept HD at 60Hz so you need to frame rate convert from 50Hz PAL material.

-Ian

3. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

So if you want to connect a HD-DVD player or Blu-Ray player/recorder (once available) or a HD1 satellite box up to a screen via component only, then the screen you need must have the stated specs of component, 1280x720 minimum resolution AND be able to accept with a 720p or 1080i input?

4. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    No. Don't confuse screen resolution and input resolution. The screen must beable to accept 720p or 1080i as input. If you are watching PAL material, this must be at 50Hz unless you want to add the ££££ expense of an external scaler. Cheap external scalers will not FRC (frame rate convert) without introducing judder. It doesn't matter whether the screen is at least 1280x720. HD on a lower resolution screen will also look much better but will not be optimal, ie it will be scaled down to fit.

Also, HD1, as far as I am aware, can be watched via component, but to watch copy protected (ie the majority of material) source material on HD-DVD/blue ray or an upscaling DVD player (except one or two unlicensed DVD players) at > SD resolutions you must have a digital connection supporting HDCP. HD-DVD/blu-ray players or DVD forum licensed DVD players (ie most DVD players) will not support CP HD output via component.

-Ian

5. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

Sorry to be a pain and thanks for the help. It's just that I'm writing a guide to HDTV for work and I'm just checking that I'm giving the correct information.

Your answers are very useful.

Are you basically saying that component is pretty useless for HDTV apart from a few programmes on HD1 and that in reality HDMI or DVI(HDCP) is vital for watching HDTV material?

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    component if fine for HDTV but it wont carry HDCP which most media owners are going to want implemented so it is HDCP that is most important then 50Hz support (vast majority of HD sources are 60Hz at the moment) and the 2 main HD signal will be 720p and 1080i now there are guidelines from EICTA which are much more pecific as to want constitutes HDTV ready...that doesnt mean there is no hope for other displays...

7. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Dont forget the D-Theatre format (only available via US DVHS Players). These deliver HD Movies & Documentaries at 1920 x 1080 over component connections (can vouch for this). See the CRT Projectors & NG03 Websites.

:thumbsup: