1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDTV v DVD comparison

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Boris Blank, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Hope this works :)

Here's a DVD screen shot from The Rock (taken from http://www.videophile.info/Screen/TheRock/Images/Rock01.jpg ) as viewed on a crt compared to the same scene taken from an HDTV sample.

Nice eh! Its even better at full size! Basically the hdtv version looks a lot sharper and there are more details to be seen - the file size restrictions here don't really do the images justice but if you look closely you'll spot a few things in the hdtv version that just aren't as clear in the dvd version.
    Paul

Attached Files:

2. apul

apul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Yup.
    I spent over an hour in some currys/dixons type shops in New York this easter. Spent a while looking at HD 36" crt tvs. They were showing a run of HD clips including bits of the Battle of Helms Deep from LotR TT and other sports clips etc. The picture was stunning and the same feed was being fed to a few displayes, including some VERY large plasmas or LCDs. Really it said to me that even on a display of 36" (or 35" or whatever they call them there) the quality and resolution was very much noticable. The sooner we get more of a choice of HD capable sets here the better. :laugh:

Anyway, my rant over. Time for :boring:

3. joys_R_us

joys_R_us

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thx Paul, yes one can see a difference. But I resist to accept that this "small" difference is all we can expect from the long awaited introduction of HDTV in Europe. The quality could and should be much better :lesson:

Otherwise they could increase the bandwidth on PAL and have nearly the same effect. Sometimes I start to think that this HDTV (and I am also a fan !) thing is an intelligent marketing maneuvre of the TV producers to fill the gap created by the non-usage of the capabilities of the existing systems :devil:

4. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    The thumbs are maybe not a good example, on the full-size shots the difference is immediate and clear. On these reduced files the difference is still there but not so apparent.

You're right about the bandwidth as well, the stream the hdtv version was taken from is about 12mb per second whereas the likes of Euro1080 is much higher (nearer 20?) so even though the screen shot is hi-def, its perhaps not quite up to broadcast quality hi-def.
    Paul

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,225
    I can spot some of the differences, the grass and bush is greener on the HDTV also in there background more lines can be seen on the structure and also a lot more detail on the RH wall.