1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDTV to DVD?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by vipergrm, Sep 18, 2005.

1. vipergrm

vipergrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +547
    HELP :lease:

Hi guys, pretty new to the forum and even newer to HDTV, so please, please bare with me! A few questions...

I have downloaded some sample HDTV content at 1080i from Microsoft and also from NASA (free samples). I would like to copy them to DVD so I can play them on my DVD player to my Acer AT3201W HD Ready TV (should be arriving in a few days :D ) but can anyone tell me how I need to copy it to DVD? Do I need to change the format or anything? Thanks

How good is progressive scanning?

What is the best form of connectivity to the TV for best performance?

Any other tips you have for an HDTV infant would be VERY much appreciated!

Thank You :thumbsup:

2. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You either have to play them using a PC (in the right resolution) connected by DVI. The Microsoft clip will play on a DVD player that supports WMV. I'm sure someone out there makes a WMV-HD compatible player.

Regular DVDs (480p/576p) are standard definition so converting it to that makes the exercise pointless.

3. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
  4. vipergrm

vipergrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +547
    Thank you for your replies. san1979 - That device looks fantastic but I don't have £180 at the minute. The only DVD player I could see that might play it was a Samsung HD950 or something but again it's £250 which is rather expensive for a DVD player.

So I HAVE TO HAVE an HD DVD player before these videos will work? I thought the format of the resolution on the disc would be the major factor but obviously not.

Darn waist of 4 gig of NASA HDTV samples! Any other ideas would be very welcome.

PS, it is not practical to attach my PC to the TV sadly.

Thanks again!

5. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    That simply upscales standard DVD's to higher resolutions (HD ones) ultimately it's just a regular DVD player.

No, right now there are no HD-DVD players in existence commercially, what there is are players that upscale normal DVD's to HD resolutions like the Samsung and players that can handle the WMV-HD files like the one I posted above.

A DVD player that handles WMV-HD is the only way you're going to get any high definition content on your display without the use of a PC (aside from European satellite channels but that's a whole other area).

There is so little WMV-HD stuff around in terms of films it's really not worth investigating. Either find a way to hook the PC up to the display or sit and wait for the next generation of formats/Sky.