1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDTV Through Firewire

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by ye110man, Jan 15, 2003.

1. ye110man

ye110man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is it possible to record content from a stb through the firewire port of a computer? are there any programs for this?

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Saw your 1st post in dig.tv. Nobodys got a firewire port on their stb round here. You're talking about recording the Mpeg stream directly? If you could get it out, someone would write something to fulfil your dreams, but alas, you are at least 2 years ahead of the times I think. Presumably this is what sky+ does? I don't recommend taking a screwdriver to a sky+ and removing the HDD and trying it in your PC though. What we need is a hot swappable drive in both!

3. ye110man

ye110man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the samsung sir-t165 has firewire. but i think that's the only one.

i would imagine that it would be possible. people have gotten d-vhs recorders to work with the firewire on their computers. and d-vhs recorders work with the samsung stb.
    what we would need are drivers. i'm guessing that windows xp would recognize the stb as an "av/c tuner" but there are no drivers for this.
    once the drivers are available it shouldn't be too difficult to write a program to record and time-shift possibly by emulating a d-vhs recorder.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    All sounds terriffic, but, difficult to see, the future is. The Dark Side clouds everything.... We'll all have STB's with built in hard drives before they get around to this or I'm Bantha fodder... Sorry just been watching it with the kids.

5. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    the samsung sir-t165 has firewire. but i think that's the only one.
    This probably is the only one - but as it is for USA ATSC-based HDTV, I can't see it being much use in Europe where we have DVB (rather than ATSC) with no planned practical path to as yet to HDTV.
    If an STB with firewire (or DVI for that matter) is released in Europe, they may well find some form of copy protection for it too just to make things awkward.
    Witness what is happening in the USA with HDCP (High bandwidth Digital Content Protection)
    BTW, the $ky+ does indeed record the MPEG stream directly. All the latest STB chipsets include an ATAPI/IDE interface to allow this. You can do the same thing with most satellite TV PCI cards
    (I have 2 in my PC).

Chris Muriel