1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDTV Suggestion

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by kRAyZZed, Aug 26, 2005.

1. kRAyZZed

kRAyZZed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Heya guys and gals,

I am new to these forums and this is my first post, my apologies if it is the incorrect place :)

Basically I am looking to be purchasing a new tv at some point within the next few months as my current tv 28" Goodmans is starting to pack in (started to notice a slightly discoloured almost burnt look on one point in the screen - the tv has lasted me just shy of 10yrs so not bad)

With Sky planning on introducing HD broadcasts next year, I figured that a HDTV was the way to go, especially seeing as I am looking for a tv that will hopefully last me just as long as my current one :).

After reading the sticky on this forum, i decided to consider the
    LG 32LX2R 32" High Definition Widescreen LCD Television

I was just curious as i see this tv is 1366 x 768 - and i know that 720p is 1280x720, so it should be compatible with 720p right? but not with 1020i?

I sadly do not know alot about HD except that I know if i am looking to purchase a new tv to last me a while then it should be the way for me to go :)

I am also planning on using it with the xbox360 being released this holiday period, the xbox360 will apparently output 720i, 720p and 1020i - I have been told that 720p althoug a lower resolution from 1020i, is still an extremely good picture quality.

So do you guys think this tv will suit my needs, also do LCDs have a noticeable response time (bad for gaming) - if not any other tv's anyone could recommend, preferably within the same budget range :)

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    You need to ensure any new HDTV features the HD ready logo. This means it can accept 720p50/60 and 1080i50/60 signals by HDMI/DVI-HDCP and component. Most current LCDs are 1366x768 resolution, so all HD signals will be internally scaled to that resolution. Hope this helps.

Steve

3. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Its probably better to wait untill more products appear that support full HD specs. (1920X1080) and have more than one HDMI/DVI-D conection.
    Component is almost standard now so I wouldnt worry about that.
    Many new LCDs also come with DVI-I/VGA for PC use which is a nice bonus.

I would wait a bit longer if I were you. Maybe a year or so.

Maker wise, I would go for Sharp as they seem to have the best panels with all the necesary specs and conections.

Samsung have some nice 1080p DLP rear prjectors that also have full specs.

Not much else just now. (Ben Q also have a nice 46" LCD but dont seem to want to tell us what conections it has, I already wrote to them asking but havent heard back)

4. stormorbit

stormorbit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I your budget reaches £2,500 then you can't go wrong with the Pioneer 435 XDE, It's a tried and tested super looking plazma with exceptional picture quality and really good media box features...Best of luck!

5. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Plasmas are nice, but they dont support full spec HD yet.
    In a year or so they might. at the moment the best plasmas will support 1280X720.
    They also suffer from screen buring so not usefull if you are planing to play games or use a PC.