1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDTV- Some Help Please!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Slapnut, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Slapnut

Slapnut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys- Im fairly new to the forum so apologies if these questions have been asked before (did a search but couldnt find much!)

Anyway Im in the market for a new TV at the moment but all this talk of HDTV has made me think twice about taking the plunge. I was thinking of purchasing a Toshiba 36ZP48 as the picture quality of some of the plasmas in my price range doesnt look to great...

I was in America recently and saw lots of sports being advertised as being in HDTV format so hopefully someone here can answer my questions...

- Are Plasmas and LCD screens the only types of Televisions that will support HDTV? Would CRT therefore be considered useless within a few years or not?

- Ive read things regarding a HDTV Box (?) How would this box work? Could this work in conjunction with a CRT TV or not?

- Finally should I definitely go for a HD compatible TV now or look to wait at least until HDTV takes off in the UK? Im just wondering whether it would be worth spending £1300 on a CRT TV now or whether it would be money down the drain...

Any info would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

2. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    At the moment l don't think any UK crt's can display hdtv (monitors excluded), but l could be wrong. Plasma screens also have different resolutions, so not all of them can display hd material without down-converting.

3. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    JVC's HVxxP37 and HVxxD40 (in 28" and 32"), and HV36P38 support 1080i via component and are all CRT. TheSe sets are available for under £1k (closer to £500 now for the P37's last time I looked, and the D40's are looking like real bargains too).

The only potential flies in the ointment are:

a) The only HD compatible inputs these sets have are component - it could well be that when we do get HDTV broadcasts from Sky or when High Definition video disc (either Blu-ray or HD-DVD) arrive that you'll have to have a TV that has either a HDCP compatible DVI socket or a HDMI socket (admittedly a lot of the older plasma's and LCD's feature neither of these either, although some plasma's mayallow you to purchase an add-in board). (I don't think you need these now for receiving Euro1080, but then Euro1080 doesn't seem to broadcast anything really worth watching other than to demonstrate the image quality at present, and I'm guessing the rights to anything of interest are owned by Sky and other big channels)

b) One of the European bodies appears to be advocating the 720p format for HDTV broadcasts in the EU. If this went ahead (and for arguments sake compatible STB's had component outputs) you'd need some sort of scaler to upscale this into 1080i to feed the JVC's.

4. beeblebrox12

beeblebrox12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The biggest drawback for these TV sets is that HDTV on 28'' or 32'' screens is totally useless. Same applies to PC monitors. HDTV starts to pay off after at least 42'', CRT sets end long before that.

5. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Possibly - but having watched WMV hi-def clips on 17" PC monitor at 1280 x whatever it was - it was jawdropping!

H