1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDTV Should be of interest to a few!!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by clever dicky, Jun 3, 2005.

1. clever dicky

clever dicky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Came accross this email. No other information than whats here. Although I thought Philips at Redhill had shut down.
    Still...

** SENT ON BEHALF OF THE IEE **

Blu-Ray Disc a next generation optical disc format
    Date: 15th June 2005
    Time: 19:00 hrs
    Venue: Philips Research, Cross Oak Lane, Redhill, Surrey RH1 5HA
    Phone: +44-1293-81 5432l

Blu-Ray Disc is a next generation optical disc format backed by more than 100 leading consumer electronics and PC companies. Its uses range from recording, rewriting and playing back over 2 hours of high-definition television (HDTV), to storage of up to 54GB data/disc in PC storage applications. With capacities equivalent to almost 40,000 floppy discs, it's hotly tipped to replace VHS and current DVD technology within a few years. In addition, by fully utilising the disc's random access features, it's possible to play back video from the disc while simultaneously recording another programme, plus many other tricks that will make this a future 'must-have' technology.

Phil Wilton from Sony Business Europe will explain how blue lasers (and hence the name Blu-Ray) make it possible to fit so much data on a CD sized disk and some of the applications in home entertainment and computing that mark this as a next generation technology to watch. This event will also be a rare opportunity to view true High Definition quality pictures on a 60 inch plasma display, to see for yourself what the HDTV services to be launched by the BBC and Sky in early 2006 might offer.

For further details please e-mail nigel.ward@iee.org

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    The BBC to launch an HDTV service in early 2006?? First I've heard of this... :)

Steve

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Same here ! The only BBC response that I've read is that they hope to have all output in HD by 2010.

I think somebody may be jumping the gun here ?

4. clever dicky

clever dicky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, thats why I posted, ....and its not even Christmas.
    Although I can't confirm content, I assure you this is a genuine email, exactly as it was received.

Only one way to be sure.....Keep a space in your diary and pop along!
    (Email first though)

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I'd love to pop along, but I think a 150 mile round trip is a little off-putting :)

6. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    I think the BBC official line is all PRODUCTION in HD by 2010. Whether this is the same as all OUTPUT is a different matter.

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

That's right, they have committed themselves to all production will be in HD by 2010.
    Obviously we all hope that at least on Dsat there will be one 24/7 BBC HD channel well before then and assuming a move to mpeg4 or more advanced codec on DTT then that platform will also deliver HD to the masses:)