1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDTV running VERY SLOW !!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by peve3, Dec 18, 2004.

1. peve3

peve3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi there peeps,

Got my new pc up and running today for HDTV to my PJ,

Only problem is all my HDTV films in the .ts format all play as if there in slow motion and are at the current speed unwatchable.

Curently running over WMP10 my pc specs are as follows :

Athlon64 3200
    Abit Av8 3rd eye
    Geforce 3 Titanium 500
    1024 PC4400 RAM

The geforce 3 was fine for viewing HDTV on my old pc, any ideas people ?

2. Master Rahl

Master Rahl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Use VLC and tell me what you get. I don't play ts files in WMP. I have a 3000 and it works perfectly fine, so something has to be wrong with your computer.

3. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,023
    Media Player Classic seems a great player (and simple) for .ts stuff, it's free and simple to use. I have zoom player (registered) and a number of others but MPC wins for me.
    How did you get WMP10 to play TS stuff?

4. Master Rahl

Master Rahl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rename the ts files mpg.

5. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Change that graphics card man its holding your system back.

6. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    you'd have thought that but spec in my sig plays all HD stuff slow as well. cant see my Gfx card holding me back ! only thing i can run are the HDTV divx trailers. i gave up in the end

7. Master Rahl

Master Rahl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I play HD on a 16MB Voodoo 3 card. 1280x720 is hardly a big resolution for a computer. His video card is good enough for HD.

8. beeblebrox12

beeblebrox12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WMP can't play mpeg2 (ts), jut like it can't play DVDs by itself. Your video card may be OK, if it has MPWG2 hardware accelleration. You need to tell us what DVD playing software you have on your machine (WinDVD, PowerDVD or else), so that we can tell you how to make sure HW accel is enabled. Remember, this is very, very triky thing and it gets progressively worse if install more than one DVD, Divx or any other multimedia program.
    BTW, VLC is the worst piece of multimedia I've seen, people only use it, because it can play files with extension ts without additional adjustments, but does the worst job and is very user unfriendy. If you set up your codecs right to use HW accel, you'll be fine. But that's not easy, if you have too much players installed and don't want to read extensively about codecs, you may be better off with VLC.

9. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    it can play DVDs by itself, unless they've stripped that out of the new version. my version of WMP definitely has the ability to playback dvds. don't use it mind, WMP is crap.

WMC or VLC for sure (or XBMC on xbox) for all my media needs.

10. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,023
  11. peve3

peve3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yep just tried Media player classic, it is in deed a billiant bit of kit.

But it still stutters in a lot of my films, i can never seem to get a smooth frame rate on any of the .TS files. And i would of though that with my spec it would be pretty smooth.

Beeblebrox12, what would you say is the best codec and player for HDTV ? That gives a fast smooth frame rate with a top quality picture.

12. mattmarsden

mattmarsden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I've got a MyHD card which is hardware HDTV card, and it plays back ts files faultlessy. It was much cheaper for me to buy this card than upgrade my PC to a spec that would play back HD ts files well. It is just about the best decoding you can get, and has DVI out.

13. beeblebrox12

beeblebrox12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You've got it wrong. The MyHD card only does hardware playback for MPEG2 (ts) HDTV files, and as I already mentioned, all you need for that is a properly set up Athlon 1600+ or equivalent and a $50 video card that supports HW accel for MPEG2. You need powerful CPU only for WMV-HD files, not for TS (MPEG2).
    I personally use ZoomPlayer with the Intervideo WinDVD 6 codecs. The most efficient and easiest to set codec is Cyberlink PowerDVD. NVDVD is also has very good HDTV decoding. Stutters should be completely eliminated, if you only have PowerDVD installed an enable HW accelleration in the video settings. You will be able to play HDTV files in WMP without problems. But unfortunately every other media playback program, like Divx stuff, will screw your settings. The best approach would be to read a bit of how to manage codecs, by searching for ZoomPlayer and reading all related info on their web site, and on clean install of Windows to put ONLY ONE player of choice (PowerDVD for example). Then enable HW accelleration, and armed with the knowledge of how to manage DirectX filters under Windows, carefully add other players, that may be needed for other multimedia. And after installing each new player, reboot and check if ts playback still works flawlessly. If it's broken, then blame the latest installed and remove it :)