Question HDTV resolution

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by SD Chap, Jul 2, 2015.

1. SD Chap

SD Chap
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any way I can reduce the resolution to something lower than 1080? HD channels are brilliant, picture perfect. But an HD TV makes SD broadcasts look terrible, especially vintage TV. SD video on my big, fat digitally converted TV that weighs half a ton is better than on a brand new HD TV… and I’ve a good mind to ditch HD and settle for descent SD on an old set designed for it. And it’s nothing to do with stretching, overscanniing, aspect ratio.

I’m sure you’ve noticed that faces look pasty, as if someone’s used a palette knife to smooth out the detail. The in-built Samsung tuner is atrocious. I’ve tried a couple of Freeview boxes, and although they’re an improvement it still makes for unpleasant viewing. No problem with the signal. And fiddling about with contrast, gamma, sharpness… etc., is just a waste of time.

There’s no option to change resolution in settings, so I was wondering if there’s a little gadget or something to plug into the TV to do it.

2. dr no

dr no

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,398
    Afraid not much you can do.
    Panel resolution is what it is.
    You can change the upscaling at source otherwise the TV will upscale everything it to the native resolution. And different TVs have different upscaling abilities. But generally SD pictures will always suffer next to full resolution HD. Hence why I tend to avoid SD for my purposes

3. SD Chap

SD Chap
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was going to get a monitor before I settled for a regular TV. Would getting a proper monitor give me this option? Or would I have to buy a non-HD TV to get back to a descent standard of SD viewing that's sadly lacking on HD TVs.

4. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,751
    A monitor probably won't support all the TV frame rates.

5. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,656
    The big question here is what have you got and what content are you watching on it?

Not all TV,s have decent scalers so if your on a no name brand that would explain a lot!

Content is also important, are you watching your SD content from DVD or from one of those awful low bitrate satellite channels that re-run the likes of Dusty's trail , Hogan's heroes, magnum PI, The Sweeny etc., because if so, you should know that that content is of such low quality it looks terrible on any set!

You will struggle to buy a decent SD set in any case, most couldn't even give those away and they end up in skips, regardless of how good they were considered at one time!

6. dr no

dr no

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,398
    A point to consider is that the smaller the HD TV the better SD will look on it and vice versa.

Another is switching almost all picture processing off. That should remove all the artificial interfere accentuating the poor source material.
    I also think SD on Plasma tends to look better than LCDs IMO.
    And also I second what @andy1249 has said. The source and the quality of SD material will have a big impact. Rubbish in rubbish out as they say

7. raduv1

raduv1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,349
    My question would be why Bother ? But the SD chap tag sorta sets the tone :D. Damn I have problems getting a decent HD picture sometimes so god forbid what SD is like now. Do you drive a classic car mate ;).

Sorry , these tvs are just not designed to show an SD image unfortunately . But in this day and age we shouldn't really be getting SD broadcasts I believe.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  8. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,615
    What is it that you're wanting to do?

I'm not sure about TVs, but many video projectors have a 'native' option where you can display exactly what's coming in, without scaling.

In short this means that the display only uses the number of pixels input, so the image shrinks (as it's not using all the pixels.

Another option is to alter the output settings on your freeview box. If your TV isn't scaling well, then set the freeview box to upscale instead, though I can't imagine the scaling in the box won't be worse than in your tv.

Truth be told, Sammys are not poor scalers. It's more than likely that SD just looks poorer because of the increased size. Either that or you're comparing SD on your Sammy to HD, where there'll obviously be a gap, whereas you don't have that comparison on your old telly.

Just a few thoughts.

Steve W

9. MrSpark

MrSpark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Probably the best compromise, if you want good SD & HD is to get hold of a 720P HD Ready TV. Assuming that the TV is a good spec, SD should look better because it's being scaled up less that a Full HD TV.

Edit: note; I have a 4K TV and SD still looks good. It's not as good as the heyday of SD and uncompressed analogue signals but it's more than acceptable for today's crappy compressed broadcasts. I only mention this because the quality of SD viewed on (720P) and up is primarily based on how well the TV manufacture implemented the SD upscaling. So you could get a 720P, which in theory should look great for SD, actually looking worse than being viewed on a Full HD or even 4K.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015