1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDTV Ready

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Wishartd, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Wishartd

Wishartd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently trying to decide which Plasma Tv will be the best one to buy to ensure I can obtain HDTV when it is introduced later this year or next. I am a little confused by the conflicting advice I have received from salesmen as to what comprises HDTV ready. Apart from being able to display 1080i or 720p I also have been told it must have an HDMI connection as Sky have decided that this will be the method of connecting their Receiver to the TV. Is this correct as I had been considering a Hitachi PD5200 which only has a DVI digital connection.

If it must have HDMI this seems to rule out many of the existing Plasmas currently on sale, many of which are sold as HDTV ready.

Any advice to a confused beginner wouild be appreciated

2. pryce3

pryce3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as long as the dvi input is HDCP (copy right protection) and the panel can display both 50hz and 60hz it will be fine as you can get a hdmi to dvi lead. the only difference is dvi doesnt carry audio wereas hdmi carries both digital audio and picture in one small connection.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    Wishartd

The powers that be who set our TV Standards in Europe have decreed that HD broadcasters in Europe will be outputting either 720P or 1080i at 50Hz for the foreseeable future.

The broadcasters (SKY) have said they will in the main output a Copy Protected signal via a Digital connection - as pryce3 says your looking at the Digibox having an HDMI socket and your Display either having HDMI or DVI (with HDCP).

Look out for the new 'HD Ready' logo - so far only the Pioneer XDE PlasmaTV's have been verified as meeting the required standards. See http://www.pioneer-eur.com/eur/company_news_pressrelease.jsp?category=EICTA05

Read pryce3's advice carefully - your intended TV must fulfil all of the criteria; Digital Input with HDCP plus 720P and 1080i compatible at 50Hz.

You also have to decide if you want a TV that's merely 'compatible' with 720P or one that actually shows all of the lines - some 480P TV's will be capable of displaying a down scaled version of an encrypted Digital signal at 720P(50); these are not a true HD Display.

There are far more NON HD Ready TV's in the UK market than there are HD Ready TV's - choose carefully!

Best regards

Joe

PS The EITCA site seems to have been down for about a week now!!!

4. Wishartd

Wishartd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your prompt replies. Do you know whether the Hitachi PD5200 satisfies the criteria?

5. Dread Prophet

Dread Prophet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Hitachi PD5200 does not satisfy the criteria as it is an ALis panel.

All of what Joe says is correct regarding connectivity etc (you need HDMI or DVI with HDCP)

You also need a minimum of 720 lines, most screens which have this are XGA screens 1280 x 768 resolution. all of these pixels are active all of the time.

Don't be fooled by ALiS screens, these use 1024 x 1024 resolution to the layman this is even more than XGA, but in practice its far worse!!!

ALiS stands for alternate lighting of surfaces. and thats exactly what it does,The 1024 lines are divided into odd and even rows (much like interlacing on CRTs) they illuminate odds then evens, odds then evens.

As a result you only ever see half of the 1024 lines ( so 512 ) This is alot worse than the 768 allways active lines of a true 1280 x 768 XGA panel. :lesson:

Basically ALiS = Limitations

Hope this helps

6. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it does not satisfy all of them - but pretty close:

- does have a digital input (DVi)
    - is HDCP compliant
    - does have a prog. scan YUV input
    - does support 1080i50 HDTV format

however:
    - does not support 720p50 HDTV format
    - as for resolution, it's 1024x1024i. Hard to tell if this falls into >=720 lines, but it's better than SD (480 lines). Don't believe people who say it's only got 512 lines because it's just not true (otherwise you have to believe CRT's only have 288 lines :rolleyes: ).

As for 720p50, I believe (from evidence in the US and existing STB's) that SkyHD STB will probably allow selecting b/w 720p50 and 1080i50 - but can't be 100% certain at this stage. If it does then the PD5200's will be Ok since they do support 1080i50 via DVI and YUV inputs.

And as for anything else - make sure you have thoroughly evaluated and compared this plasma with others before your purchase. ;)

7. Wishartd

Wishartd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dread Prophet , it all adds to the complexity of deciding whether to buy now or wait a little longer until more truly HDTV sets are produced. At the moment it seems to be a choice between the Pioneer XDE range or wait. I have looked at the comments on the Forum re the 435XDE and they appear encouraging so I think I will concentrate on where I can get the best deal for one of those before deciding. Thanks for the help

8. Dread Prophet

Dread Prophet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RE: 512 lines

This is true PeeZee. It constantly switches between the odd set of lines and the even set of lines.

Although there are physically 1024 lines, Your eye never sees more than half of this (512 lines at any one time).

ALiS is a great way to make SD plasmas cost effectively, and performance in this area is fine.

But for HD use its performance is very poor.

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    peezee

I guess Fujitsu don't understand the technology then - see http://www.fme.fujitsu.com/products/displays/pdptech.html

Note 3. The number of electrodes = the number of horizontal lines + 1 (512+1 doesn't equal 720P).

And a I guess a 1366x768 e-ALIS display actually has 2 x 768 lines!

Deliberately confusing is a by word of Fujitsu ALIS blurb.

Best regards

Joe

10. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now come on lads, this is what I wrote:
    there ARE 1024 physical rows of pixels in an ALiS display. Period.

The fact that they are not activated at the same moment doesn't make it a 512 lines panel. Unless you're able to blink very precisely every 16.666ms - even there, you'd see 1024 lines because of persistance (e.g. retina). This is about the same as interlacing on a CRT (only better since there is no line scanning), would you say PAL video is 288 lines? No? Why then?

I don't have any qualms with the fact that ALiS technology has its owns flaws, but stating that there's only 512 rows of phosphors is simply wrong.

And Joe, I have NOT stated it's more than 720 lines, in fact I'm just wondering how to compare 720p with 1024i... :rolleyes:
    Also: each electrode lights up *TWO* rows of pixels alternatively. There really is no need to add the "electrodes" in the discussion to confuse the issue more than necessary here... :D

BTW - I've seen HD on a PD5200 (running a .TS HD stream from my Powerbook via DVi) - it is simply STUNNING!! This just to set the record straight. :)