1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDTV ready plasmas?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Biccy, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excuse my lack of knowledge but am newbie to plasmas. After returning my CRT Tosh PF2 & considering different CRT TV's ive decided to stump up the money for a plasma. Spent evening researching reviews & comments on this forum & have narrowed down choice to a handful of plasmas (still too many to ask any opinions yet!) One of my main priorities with spending this much money (2 to 3k max) would be that it is HDTV ready when Sky is in 2 years time (i hope). Have looked at what i can on this but would like advice on following before i go & view some screens tomorrow: is it the connections (if so then what does it need) or the resolution of screen, or something different that means it will cope with HDTV? Any advice should hopefully narrow down my choices so far, thanks.

2. SysRoute

SysRoute

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I picked up a Philips 42" plasma this week that is HD ready. Payed $2,100 for it straight from Philips. It came with a Philips FlatTV reciever and when I get my Comcast HD cable box I'll be good to go. The connection between the reciever and tv is a VGA monitor cable and the Comcast cable box will connect to the reciever using a component cable. I have the TV hooked up now with S-Video between the cable box and the reception is pretty good but I expect it'll be 10 times better with component. My DVD quality is unreal using the S-video cable. I'm VERY pleased with the TV. It also has the automatic aspect switching which is nice as well. Wish I new if I had PIP capability and how to make it work...

3. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pioneers fde xde hde all high deff ok

4. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what about the panasonic range, seems to be good comments about these on the forums but my only doubt was comments about the resolution and whether plasmas with higher resolution would look better with HDTV?

5. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    There still seems to be lots of confusion on this issue, despite many attempts by 'clued-up' members to explain.

I'll try and give you someting brief to start with, then leave you to search if you would like more in-depth.

Connection of an HDTV source to the screen requires either component or a digital video input (DVI + HDCP or HDMI). If the set has one or both of these, then check the specs to make sure it accepts both 720p and 1080i at both 50Hz and 60Hz. Most plasmas produced recently should be OK, since they were made after HDTV became generally available in both Japan and USA.

In terms of the screen resolution, any recent plasma should be able to display an HDTV picture, and all reports suggest that the quality of the picture will be better than anything you can feed the set with at the moment (DVD, Sky etc.). However, if you actually want to be able to see all that extra definition from HDTV on the screen, then a screen with a vertical resolution of at least 720 pixels is necessary. Now let's be clear about this - a Panny 6 plasma with a vertical resolution of 480 pixels CAN show an HDTV picture, and do a very good job of it too (I've seen it in the states - very nice). It manages this by the electronics in the panel down-scaling the resolution (from either 1080i or 720p, into 480p). But if you're an image perfectionist (of which there a few on these forums!), then the pixel data that you are losing from this down-scaling process may be something that you can't live with. If that's the case, then go for a set with at least ? x 720 resolution.

HTH

6. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    I've heard good things about the Panasonic series on these forums, specifically the PW6. Even though this has standard res, 852x480?, I understand it will still display a hi-def signal and although not true hi-def, it will look a lot better than standard definition tv.
    As for connections, there are different boards you can buy to connect your equipment, crucially, one with an HDMI? socket, which is the one you will probably need more and more as time goes on.
    Hope this helps.

7. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Need to be careful about the HDMI board on this one, as at present it doesn't support 720p at 50Hz (only at 60Hz). Since we use 50 Hz in Europe, this would be a problem. It is likely that Panny will sort this out nearer the time that HDTV is becoming a reality, and also possible that a 3rd party supplier may produce their own board for the panel. However, AFAIA the component input board does support 50 Hz. Not sure about the VGA input - I'll leave that one to the experts.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    panny 7 has HDMI option panny 6 doesnt.... PAnny 42 HD unit is available from certain retailers but you wont see it on the high street only Pio make 720 res TV plasma, suggest you consider the 434 and 435 pio sets and the panny HD also for lower cost NEC have a 1024x768 42 IIRC

9. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Sorry, I mean the DVI-D board.
    They look the same to me.